What is the best way to turn the IP when setting the timing?

Ataylor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I received my Ferret timing adapter tonight. I would like to start up my truck and set the timing (I replaced the IP with a Baby Moose and new BB injectors).

I have a Rotunda Injection pump Rotator tool on order, but they are back ordered until Sept. 28th!!! Doesn't seem like anyone keeps anything in stock anymore.

Is there a safe way to turn the IP when setting the timing? I still have the injection line clamps removed to make it a little easier to turn. I will replace them as soon as the timing is set.

Thank you in advance for any advice anyone can offer.

Archie

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turn it with the truck off, otherwise you risk ruining the IP.

Otherwise I'm not too sure if there is any voodoo to it :dunno

Towards Passenger side = advance, drivers=retard

Ataylor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks RHKcommander. What type of tool do you turn it with if you don't have the rotator tool (spanner wrench)?

Thanks

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
15" Crescent wrench. Leave the bottom two nuts a little loose, keep the top nut tight when running.

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
If you don't want to scuff up your IP you can also make a "handle"- I took a piece of flat bar and drilled a couple holes so it attaches to the cold throttle solenoid mounts (remove the solenoid and bracket temporarily). If you make the handle long enough you'll have plenty of leverage, probably enough to turn the IP with the nuts snugged up, but I still prefer to shut it off before I adjust it, just in case.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
If you don't want to scuff up your IP you can also make a "handle"- I took a piece of flat bar and drilled a couple holes so it attaches to the cold throttle solenoid mounts (remove the solenoid and bracket temporarily). If you make the handle long enough you'll have plenty of leverage, probably enough to turn the IP with the nuts snugged up, but I still prefer to shut it off before I adjust it, just in case.

FYI, never adjust timing with the engine running!

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
mine has a square protrusion on the front of the pump i can fit a wrench on. not all of them have that though, otherwise i turned them with some water pump pliars and some of the lines loosened so i dont have to go nuts with torquing it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Whatever you do get those line clamps on the lines. They are on the lines to dampnen the vibrations from the fuel pulses going thru them. You will break a line if you run without them in place. As posted above. Shut down the engine to adjust the pump either direction. These pumps create plenty of torque to turn them internally when they are running. Its not a positive displacement pump but the pressure generated to get fuel to the injectors is going to be around 1800 to 2000 lbs. Are you able to overcome that pressure with a wrench...:sly:dunno

Ataylor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I 'm going to fire it up tomorrow. I will try rotating it first (engine off) with a very large crescent wrench. If that doesn't do the job I will make up a lever to fit the cold idle advance holes in the side of the pump. By the time the Rotunda spanner wrench arrives I should have it fine tuned.

I will get those line clamps installed asap.

Thanks for all the replies, I will post my results tomorrow.

Archie

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
A pair of large oil filter pliers works great for turning a pump, just grab it carefully and turn ;Sweet

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
yea he forgot to stop in before he ran off from the rally lol. ill have to get it when graham comes up to get the bed liner i'm giving him.