What is the best towing single turbo??

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
I'm talking for a 12 valve with under 400 hp at the wheels. I'm looking for good daily driveability, and lots of cold air. I don't care about smoke control, it's behind me where the fords and bicyclists are anyway. I want to be able to put the hammer down on the hills and never go past 1200 deg. while towing 12k or less, usually less. Am I dreaming? OK I'd be happy to be able to do that with 6k-7k behind the truck, am I still dreaming? I want to leave on my turbo mounted pac brake, am I again dreaming? I will agree that it needs a HTT 3 piece manifold and 4" from the pac back, and I will do that soon. I really want to start saving now so that by next year, I can have this thing finally setup for towing the loads over the pass and pac brake it down the other side w/o baby sitting guages. :draw

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
I'd be intersted in hearing hte answer to that question myself.

I'm afraid it's wish in 1 hand and :number2 , in the other, and see which 1 get filled 1st.

SEmerson

Reaction score
I run a pdr hx40. It is a little laggy for dayly towing. Probly the best for 400 or less would be a hx35. Then add other parts to help the egt problem.

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
PackRat said:
I'd be intersted in hearing hte answer to that question myself.

I'm afraid it's wish in 1 hand and :number2 , in the other, and see which 1 get filled 1st.

That's why I drive a Ford PowerStroke :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

rubberfish

Reaction score
Ramprat said:
That's why I drive a Ford PowerStroke :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Ignore him,,,he drinks too much :rotflmao :rotflmao j/k

If you want cooler egt's you've got a few choices.
-hx35 w/14cm housing will help.
-I've heard no complaints about BD's super single, except $.
-Piers can put something together for you as well.
-Or there's water/****, cooler and faster :D

As far as not having to babysit gauges? You'll still have to peek at them.
Try pretending they're boobs. :D Then you won't mind looking at them. :D

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's so far, including the typical hyjacking. :backoff
Before anyone suggests a 16 cm housing, I've already done that and it has made towing worse, much worse. With the stock 12 cm housing on a particular hill with the same load I could hold 65 and with the 16 on, we were down to 50 and had to downshift, I just couldn't go any slower in 5th.

I realize that with the bigger housing, shaft speed is down, but I understood that the larger area would breathe easier and make up that difference. Does a larger housing really require a larger compressor side to really be effective?

Whit

Reaction score
Tim..........Aurora turbo has a variable geomitry out that you should look at.....cant tell ya much more but the variables are the future, my recommendation would be to chill for a bit longer as they are being tested by folks with deep pockets, they will tell soon.

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
Go to Whitmore's house and take the PDR35!

You can actually make your own 35/40 hybrid. HTT turbo sells the 40 compressor wheel and housing to bolt on a stock 35. Then you just have to machine where the compressor wheel sits to allow for the bigger wheel(56mm to a 60mm wheel). Maybe you need more fuel, I hit 40 pounds on my stock '35 with a 16cm hsg. Now I have to rebuild it, I killed the bearings. I also have to get a new compressor wheel & housing, I stumbled on the HTT site & found the upgrade kit.

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
I saw that and am leaning towards changing out the compressor side for that 40. It reads more that they will do all the machining and it'll come bolt up ready. I would hope that was true. They state that it needs a 14 or 16 exh. housing. So let me get this straight, having the 35 compressor and 16 housing I ended up with a slower shaft speed thus a few less psi, and higher egt's. But if I put a larger compressor on the front, the lower shaft speed will be compensated with more air from the compressor? :confused:

Got Smoke?

The Smokey One
Reaction score
I would look at High Tech Turbo's HTB series. The HTB2 would probably keep you at your goal of around 1200* while towing. ;Sweet 12 Valves that have been turned up are really hard to keep cool, they require a lot of air. More than a HX35 or 40 can provide most times.