What is the best engine assembly lube

cowman79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have put together a couple of gassers and am in the process of rebuilding my 7.3 idi turbo. On the gassers I used stp on the bearings and coated the cylinder walls with oil and give the pistons a coat of oil before putting them in the block. Is there any difference when assembling diesels. I have read that coating the pistons with oil can cause them to get carbon buildup behind the rings.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Coating a piston with oil will not cause oil to carbon up behind the rings. Remember we have oil coolers squirting oil up under the pistons to cool and lube them. Someone told you some $hit. What you plan on using is fine. Even engine oil will work too. Your just lubing the metal to metal parts till the oil strats thru the engine.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always took a large coffee can full of true synthetic engine oil, 5-30 or 10-30 and submerged each piston with rings and rod in the oil, pulled that out...let drip dry (so to speak) to get the excess of and then stuck that in the cylinder which was lightly oiled too.

Then I would take same 5-30 synthetic and use pure moly lube grease and make a light thing grease with the oil and moly, then a thin film on the bearings very thin film Rods and Mains both got this and cam shaft too, liftes soaked in pure 5-30 syn

Rockers and rocker tips...oil/moly lube

Valves same pure 5-30 synthetic lube when installing...

That's my rant, but remember this was back in the 80's when I was doing this *****...

OH one more thing,

After lots of engines, NEVER a single failure, as well I pulled one down to make some changes and the bearings where awesome and the inside of the block was coated in a black molyslip that was in and on all surfaces, that lead me to beieve that was a good thing as moly is good n slippery stuff, then engine master Bill who I learned from swore by this method. I fully understand why. never a startup failure, never a cam failure and always great results.

JM2CW

but what do I know...enough to get into trouble and not enough to get out....*****

sassyrel

Reaction score
ive always used vaseline on the bearings when i put them back together. it sticks there,,till engine oil flushes it out,,and it mixes with the oil as it warms,,and hurts nothing. when you put the lifters back in,use some zddp additive,,for piece of mind on the lifters and cam..its esp imprtant,,if you use a non roller cam!!! i/e,,gasser!!

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lubriplate No. 105 on bearings and rockers and everything else gets motor oil unless its a flat tappet cam, them special cam lube.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online