What is the advantage of an electric Fuel pump? Pros and cons?

pontoonrob

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My feeling is to use the known Carrier facut pump and have a spare behind the seat. Your probably never going to use or need it but insurance is the same thing.. You have it hopeing you never need or use it but you have it just in case.. A spre pump will get you home no doughts about it.
or you can be like me and have TWO plumed in line. :D I have both hooked up to two hot wires and just switch the ground to turn one on. This really helped when one did fail after about a year of use. (add me to the list of having a failed Carrier also) I have had this set up for a couple of years now and no problems so far. I use one for a few days and then switch to the other one. They are both in the engine compartment,right behind the passenger battery.I like being able to see the fuel bowls and ease of servicing them.---Rob

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
I have no doubt that the carrier pump is great but I have been running a procomp red for about 6 years. I take the bottom off of it and clean it every other oil change and no problems yet. found it on ebay for less than 40 bucks to my door.

254f250ace

Reaction score
Yeah I had 2 Gp get stuck but I got a pair of vice-grip pliers and just pulled and twisted them off turning lefty loosie and they came right out

Robt.Webster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changing out a mechanical pump alongside the road would be a real *****. I keep a spare Facet behind the seat with the hose fittings already installed with a plug connect on the electrical side. Changing this pump is a 15 minute job.

In addition to the other things said, in case of a runaway, if kill the ignition the engine will shutdown on fuel starvation.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In addition to the other things said, in case of a runaway, if kill the ignition the engine will shutdown on fuel starvation.

Thats not really 100% correct...only if it is a runaway bazed on fuel...if it is suckin oil then only removing oxygen from the equation is going to work...be it a CO2 extinguisher or Halon or completely blocking off air intake.

Dont want folks getting wrong idea now do we....

JM7.3CW

Robt.Webster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True enough. But would it be fair to say that the most likely cause of runaway would be due to injector pump problems?

254f250ace

Reaction score
What's the part number for the facet pump been looking at getting one I'll prime my 92f250 idi and it runs for like 5 seconds then dies and fuel filter will be almost dry so my guess is my mechanical fuel pump is bad it does pump fuel but don't think it pumps enough what y'all think?

254f250ace

Reaction score
Changing out a mechanical pump alongside the road would be a real *****. I keep a spare Facet behind the seat with the hose fittings already installed with a plug connect on the electrical side. Changing this pump is a 15 minute job.

Is the part number for facet fuel pump you have 40223? That's the one I ordered the only p/n I was able to find that someone put on a idi engine. Would that one work? Thanks

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds about right. I've had mine for years and still ticking. I like the filter, I saw cap in there and cleaned it up before it got worse. Never would have known with stock fuel system...

I also ceramic coated all of my exhaust and turbo housing from Manis to downpipe, so my under hood temperatures are greatly reduced. Of the three idis I've been around mine was the coolest, before the coating it was hot as hell. My point is that electronics don't love heat or moisture, I'm wondering if some of the failures aren't from either heat up in the engine bay, moisture down on the rails, pumping oils or fighting sludges, etc. Warm and dry is fine but before the coating she was a fire breather... snow would melt, steam would rise off the hood. Last time it snowed and I drove with it on the hood it didnt even drip. Plus the turbo spools better! Just my theories, could be complete crap but I doubt they see the same heat on a ****** unit as an average idi.

If you are paranoid it will fail then why not just plumb it so you can undo a couple hoses, keep a mechanical pump as a spare, and make it stupid easy to swap back. Mech pumps are pretty cheap. Two bolts and two clamps could be all you need.

On the topic of fuel run away - can our fuel solenoids ever fail open? I'm sure it is rare to say the least, I've never heard of any Case that wasn't someone playing with the internals on their ip.

If you plan on pumping anything not diesel you will want the mech pump. Carriers do not like oils. Some have run light loads through, but I have to wonder if that isn't part of the failures too. At least preheat the oil fuels to flow easier...

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a ton of info on doing this. See http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...pump-with-a-Facet-Duralift-electric-fuel-pump for one example. I happen to pick a Walbro marine grade pump and I am very happy with it; it is more expensive than the Facet. I wouldn't hesitate to use to use the Facet or Carrier... just pick the draw height you need, pressure output (no more than 7 psi) and do it! I also recommend installing under the hood; much easier to service.

One thing I would not do is put a mechanical back on.

Edit for rhkcommander: My walbro pump is rated for many fluids including biodiesel and oils, another reason why I picked it.

Plowmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see on another related thread someone asked if a cummins lift pump would fit, as they have no diaphragm to fail? If this be the case, they also make them with a priming plunger

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm still running my original mechanical pump. How long do they last vs the electric pumps?