what is "normal" valve tap?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard my lifters pecking away when I'm only a quart or 2 low actually. They really shouldn't be making any noise. IDK if anyone has an audio clip of what a bad valve sounds like. I hope to never hear it in my truck, but it usually manifests itself as a chuffing or popping back through the intake or exhaust. Usually on these trucks it's the exhaust valves that die, and when they do, they can let go in a hurry and take a lot of expensive parts with them. There are a lot of other things on these IDIs that cause a ticking noise. Lifters, anything touching the injector lines, an injector stuck open, timing too far advanced(or more advanced than you're used to hearing) Now when you say you had a loose injector, was the hard line loose or was the injector loose in the head? If it was loose in the head the you may have found your problem. What that would do is to allow a bunch of combustion gases to sneak past the injector and cause a bad knock or tick sound on the top end.. I don't think it's the injectors themselves unless you really were brutal with them. The don't like to get dirtybut it sounds like you were more than conscientious.

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I liked the way my engine sounded when I filled the filter with ATF, but it didn't last. Sooo, I put a couple of gallons of of oil in with 8 gallons of diesel and everything got really quiet. And has stayed quiet for a couple of tanks.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you need injector analysis, I can test them for you. If your near the rally in a few weeks, I'm sure we can test them there also. I also sell pop tested injectors, but Russ' price is better.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
before you go condemning the set of russ's injectors......

make 100% sure that you got all the copper washers out from the hole. Also find out what cylinder it is and move that injector to the other bank.
It's free and it'll tell you what you need to know.
obviously if lets say hole #3 is the knock and (you of course double checked about the washer) move the injector to #4 and the knock doesn't move we need to reevaluate the situation.

Also be super clean with this stuff.... if you have caps keep the one on the end until you are ready to install the injector line.
Too much crap can fall from under the hood, and a lil piece of dirt/grease/carbon can destroy the best injector in 2seconds.

Drew

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I have what sounds like an injector tick. Replaced all
injectors and it still does it. But the valvetrain is all good. I'm almost thinking it's a small hole in my crossover pipe. Goes away higher rpms but lower rpms you can definatly hear it. Only really happens when I'm past half throttle which sounds more like an exhaust or injector thing than a valvetrain problem

dieseldumb

Reaction score
didn't cross my mind to condemn typ4's injectors. i try to stay honest and believe typ4 and most other people do also - especially if they participate in this forum.

someday i'll start a thread with the question: "If you know a valve is bad, or brakes need work, etc., would you sell it without telling the prospective buyer, or is it always a case of 'buyer beware'?

anyways...

Diesel JD - yes, the injector was loose in the head. when i crack open any one of the injectors the sound gets worse, so i'm thinking air is getting in the system. will remove and reinstall all the injectors this week-end.

the beast runs pretty good although i have nothing to compare it to since this my first oilburner now whenever a diesel idles nearby i listen to it closely.

wish i could visit the rally. no vacation until fall though.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
the beast runs pretty good although i have nothing to compare it to since this my first oilburner now whenever a diesel idles nearby i listen to it closely.

wish i could visit the rally. no vacation until fall though.

The only problem with that is DI Diesels (powerstrokes, cummins, cats, etc) sound WAAY different than an IDI when idling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__M-LvPg8Ck&feature=related

If an IDI is advanced too far it will rattle. The rattle though is the engine eating the glow plugs;Really
Just some food for thought

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
"If you know a valve is bad, or brakes need work, etc., would you sell it without telling the prospective buyer, or is it always a case of 'buyer beware'?

here is my spin.... I've sold a handful of trucks over the year. I gave the new owners my log book and SOOOO much information about the truck they were tremendously pleased despite the minor problems the truck had.
People don't respond well to salesmen... they do respond to honesty and I've even had people call me months later asking my advice regarding the truck I sold.

I've also bought trucks called "Daily drivers."
I bought one on Ebay from a Salesman in TN. After driving 7 hours I got to the guys shop. He pulls up in the truck and it is leaking ATF, coolant, and fuel. The intake manifold has a leak, fuel is spraying on the intake (which was plugging the leak), the exhaust is broken in front of the fuel tank, and the carb needs rebuilt as it wont idle right.
Worst part was the ******* starts telling me how jesus has kept him honest and he just wants me to be happy with the truck.
I was ready to beat him to death on the spot....
If he'd told me the problems I would have still bought the truck, for the same price, I just would have expected to have made these repairs.

Drew