What I have learned this year...

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I have decided to use my 1000th post to tell what all I have learned this year...mainly about IDI's, but also in life in general.

1) Factory gauges are meant for looks, NOT functionality. Replace or at least add a couple of mechanical gauges to monitor your truck no matter what make, model or year!!

2) When Mel says ZD9's only, listen to him. I jsut replaced 3 burnt bosch plugs I got on discount. BUT, in my defence I abused them yesterday morning to try and get ol' blue running.

3) Unless you like buying extra fuel, DO NOT SCREW WITH THE FACTORY PUMP SETTINGS! I turned my truck up 1 flat, then 6 flats for a grand total of 2 miles....and turned it back to 1 flat above factory. Sure, all the black smoke makes a guy feel all tingly, but it is irresponsible and foolish....but I still like it!!!

4) Change the oil often and use good oil. I bought some cheap Wlamart oil once, and it made the engine emit some pretty irregular noises. I used a higher quality oil last oil change and ran a cycle of Z max through it, problem solved!

5) Maintain decent batteries, a good starter, and make sure your alternator is up to *****. You will regret it come winter time when you are trying to boost the truck with a dump truck....

6) Run her at 55 and your wallet will thank you. 23 Miles per Imperial gallon with agressive mud tires, a couple hundred pounds of strap metal in the bed and the road wasn't exactly flat where we were headed. 55 might drive you nuts, but you will save a PILE on fuel and get there alive lol.

7) Grease things that have grease fittings REGULARLY! I didn't learn this this year, but I figgured I would add it anyways.

8) JUST because it says $19.99 shipping, doesn't mean that UPS won't charge you $48.60 in cross border charges....NEVER USING UPS EVER AGAIN!-cuss

9) The swine flu is real, not just a political scare tactic. It makes you feel like you got hit by a chargin bull and you litterally won't do anything but crap and sleep.

10) When asking for advice, listen to it! Expecially when it is from members of OB...online or not!! Just because this part is cheaper than that part, don't mean it's worth it!!

11) Alcohol, fishing rods and a flower garden are a BAD mix in an apartment complex in the middle of the city....especially when your balcony is overlooking a parking lot...enough said. Check "I'm gonna plant that" for details...

12) Remember, no matter how old you feel.....it's not the age that counts, it's the milage!

Hopefully this year things go a little smoother, and I hope everyone gets to enjoy one more spin around the sun.

Goofyexponent - Chris

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
1) Factory gauges are meant for looks, NOT functionality. Replace or at least add a couple of mechanical gauges to monitor your truck no matter what make, model or year!!

5) Maintain decent batteries, a good starter, and make sure your alternator is up to *****. You will regret it come winter time when you are trying to boost the truck with a dump truck....

7) Grease things that have grease fittings REGULARLY! I didn't learn this this year, but I figgured I would add it anyways.

10) When asking for advice, listen to it! Expecially when it is from members of OB...online or not!! Just because this part is cheaper than that part, don't mean it's worth it!!

Agreed, i have learned from these four personally in the past few weeks alone

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Swine flu is for real... I speak from experiance... Sit on the pot and both ends working against the middle. Been sick since last Saturday. I'm able to eat now but still so weak the wifey has me anyway she wants me... And thats not good if you know her...-cuss Even water hurts my stomache. I have not been able to drive my truck in over a week and it sure looks like it will be some time till I'm able to... I wonder what next year will bring us.....:dunno

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
So those Bosch plugs crapped out just like I said they would.... Sorry to say I told you so, but....:D Don't feel bad, I got to eat my crow on those things when I first bought this beast.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I shouldn't have cycled them twice in a row like I did. Apparently the beru's can put up with that kind of abuse.

HOWEVER! None of the burnt plugs swelled up like the autolites are prone to.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Sorry about all your troubles, Gary!

Just think, by the time you get to drive the truck again, it will be like new to you!!! :D

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
8) JUST because it says $19.99 shipping, doesn't mean that UPS won't charge you $48.60 in cross border charges....NEVER USING UPS EVER AGAIN!-cuss

Oh man, how I feel your pain. I refuse to order from places that ship UPS. Sneaky, underhanded bullcrap move jamming those brokerage fees after you order has been shipped.

If they were more upfront about those fees, no one in Canada would ever use them. UPS can burn.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's another reason not to use UPS...

Am I the only one who immediately thought of "****** Kline" when I read that? :rotflmao

Congratulations on the milestone!! Meanwhile, if you combined my posts here with my posts on STD from back in the day, I'm probably over the 10K mark. I have no life LOL

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
/\ ive had a few packages that have been delivered and look like that, we got some fins for a 1957 Bel-Air in a mangled package looks like they air dropped it from 30K

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Warden.... What the heck... I have felt that my UPS delieverys have been suspect for some time. Several Felpro valley pan gaskets have been ruined in the shipping. Even from differant locations. Now I "see" whats going on. I promise you this... I will never use them for anything. All these "trusted" employees should be fired and banned from any other type of shipping or handleing work... Talk about some lazy @ss workers......-cuss

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Goofy learned one more thing too..."Recycling" - he buys used parts from me, then proceeds to toast the engine - I buy it and scrap it to re-sell the parts and he gets paid by yours truly to install said parts in another man's truck...:sly:D:rotflmao....Funny thing is, my IDI is 100% stock in it's functionality when it comes to the GP's and pump....I never have any trouble with it - period....The more Goofy plays with his the more I learn why I leave mine alone.:rotflmao...Now my Cummins - that will be a different story.;Really:sly

Willie Two

Retired Firefighter
Reaction score
Oh man, how I feel your pain. I refuse to order from places that ship UPS. Sneaky, underhanded bullcrap move jamming those brokerage fees after you order has been shipped.

If they were more upfront about those fees, no one in Canada would ever use them. UPS can burn.

Tomorrow morning I drive to the US side of the " Great Divide " to pick up my Turbo

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Warden.... What the heck... I have felt that my UPS delieverys have been suspect for some time. Several Felpro valley pan gaskets have been ruined in the shipping. Even from differant locations. Now I "see" whats going on. I promise you this... I will never use them for anything. All these "trusted" employees should be fired and banned from any other type of shipping or handleing work... Talk about some lazy @ss workers......-cuss

That's not UPS fault, Valley pans are one of the few things I'll usually get from the local parts store for convenince if Im in a hurry and all they have is felpro and most of them come damaged because felpro hires a moron who's sole job is to put one cardboard loop on the top and one cardboard loop on the bottom of the thing when setting it in the box, and most of the time, both loops are on the same side or just thrown in folded up instead of spread out where they support the parts that need to be supported in shipping, so most of the felpfo valley pans come pre bent across the intake runners making them trash out of the box that would leak if installed.

Hybrid455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So those Bosch plugs crapped out just like I said they would.... Sorry to say I told you so, but....:D Don't feel bad, I got to eat my crow on those things when I first bought this beast.

The Bosch in mine are still going strong but I updated the entire system to a late model controller. Before that I burned everything up including a lot of zd9s with a push button. The reason I tried the bosch when I upgraded is because I was burning up everything anyway. Too easy to over do it when shes not wanting to start because you forgot to plug in. You can't monitor plug current with your finger on a button. Just my 2 cents.

X2 on the flu I've been down for 7 days now. Nasty ass **** :puke: :number2
X2 on UPS, overpaid, arrogant, drive like morons and too expensive.
X2 oil and maintenance
X2 on the electrical system try and save here and life can really suck