What Hand Cleaner Do You Use?

duke3478

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't beat a box of those thick blue rubber gloves. I've been forcing myself to use them, tired of digging out my nails and cuticles with a pick every weekend. Nitrile ones never work for me, they always catch something sharp and bust.

Bryce_Burden90

Reaction score
I use Joe's Hand Cleaner or Fast Orange at the shop and they work well for me. I also carry around a bucket of those blue Scrubs hand wipes on my truck, they work really well out on service calls where there's no water. They also seem to work better if you add some water to the bucket with them and keep them wet. I also find myself using AutoZone Brake Cleaner for the tough stuff, followed by one of the above hand cleaners.

Bryce

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
At home i use go jo and fast orange w/ pumice. Both of those get anything off of my skin. At school we have a big jug of cherry bomb. that stuff works good and smells good too.

P.S. fast oragne w/ pumice also does a good jub of getting grease and dirt out of clothes when you wash them. Just srucb the affected area on your clothes w/ the hand cleaner and the throw in washer.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Black lightening nitriles gloves. :D

Go-Jo with pumice IMHO works best at cutting the crud that the diesels produce.
Gloves!

Can't beat a box of those thick blue rubber gloves. I've been forcing myself to use them, tired of digging out my nails and cuticles with a pick every weekend. Nitrile ones never work for me, they always catch something sharp and bust.

we get some at work not sure what kind I'll have to look.

But i use my own hand cleaner made from my biodiesel mistakes and glycerin...:love:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Good quality rubber gloves like the nitrle kind. Then is anything gets past that some Dawn dishwashing soap works for me...

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My home made soap is the best I've found. But with out that WD 40 and ATF to cut the goo and deep stain then you favorite soap or cleaner.

Billyisgr8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the HE ( high efficency ) laundry soap liquid, the stuff used for front loading washers. Can buy a big jug (44 loads) for $5.00 , even got the last one for $3.00 after a coupon. Just a bit of water and my hands are very clean. worked awsome when I did my oil cooler last month which is one of the messiest jobs to do and a real match for hand cleaners. Can get it in many different scents too.

Fordman75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Fast orange with pumice to scrub the heavy crap off and then Dawn for the squeaky clean feeling.:D

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
I am going +3 the Joe's hand cleaner. I bought a tube for the first time about a year ago because it had a container that allowed me to caribeener it to the front of my road box... its the best I have tried and is especially good with no water.

damac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a problem using the gloves when I am getting down and dirty. I typically tried to use the stuff they sell at the local kragen which all sucks imo. Like that orange stuff that is gritty and tells you to scrub yourself silly before you wet your hands.

I had a life changing experience when a friend showed me the stuff he uses. Dr. bronners 18 in 1 peppermint liquid soap.

With this stuff I can go to the sink or bathtub with warm water running and use a scrub brush for the nails and harsh spots and it takes off more in the first pass than I ever got off with the other stuff which makes a bigger mess as well.

I used to have that problem with coming in from a long day and needing my hands clean for the next day and now I can just take my time and scrub away to my liking and let it all go down the drain without having to touch anything.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The family tire-shop has been buying some flavor of GREEN Go-Jo that comes in a plastic bladder that fits in a dispenser on the wall.

I commandeer a box every once in a while, sort of the ox not being muzzled, or maybe a perk.

Anyways, I clip off a corner of the bladder and squish the contents through a funnel and into a jug.

I keep a squirt-top bottle of it sitting by the sink.

It works well all by itself, with no water whatsoever, but it really works good when used with water, both while washing and for rinsing.

It has lots of grit in it.

Now, the best way to get clean is to keep clean.

There are a few tricks for that.

A FUMOTO drain-valve and oil-filter relocation kit works wonders.

I wear cowhide leather gloves almost every waking hour; I keep a few pairs of the filthier ones on hand for when I am handling such things as greasy hubs and such.

I may switch back and forth between the cleaner gloves and the dirtier ones twenty times during a project.

Being in the habit of always wearing good gloves (I use the "ROPER" gloves from Harbor Freight), I don't have most of the usual problems that most do with dirty hands.

I can answer a phone, open a refrigerator (and drink), take a leak, or open a door WITH CLEAN HANDS at almost any time.

I have worn gloves so much that I find myself putting them on for such tedious jobs as tying on a fish-hook or threading a needle; I just have a better feel with the gloves on.

If what you are working on is gonna be greasy/oily, slather plenty of vaseline all up your arms and all over your hands, smashing a goodly amount up under the nails.

Pre-treated thus, any grit and grime will simply wipe away.

Oh, and don't try to open any doors while your hands are all slicked up; might wanna take a leak first also. :eek:

Digging your nails into plain old bar soap prior to work will prevent anything else getting under there.

When it is the arms that are gonna get filthy, take a pair of old over-the-calf socks, cut a thumb and fingers hole in the toe, and sleeve the arms with these old socks; when done, simply discard the socks.

Old *****-hose also works for the above trick.

A few minutes with a pressure-washer and good degreaser applied to whatever area is gonna be worked on will make certain that the only black you get on you will be from inside whatever it is being worked on, and not a bunch of gritty grimy filth that you just happen to rub against under there.

The product name slips my memory, but there is a product that you rub all over the hands/arms and let it dry into a second layer of skin if you will.

When the job is done, this film peels away like a sunburn and the dirt goes with it. ;Sweet

Last edited:

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
brake clean is great but dries off the skin if used a lot
and gojo works good carry some in the truck
i have lava soap for the shower for those dirty spots you cant get in a sink

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
midnight they make liquid gloves i think thats waht you mean by the second skin thing
also the green stuff is great but watch taking it i hear its like 70 bucks a bag its enviro friendly too iirc you hippies in cali can use it and the gov wont kick youre door in
the green stuff is the way to go after doing a starter on a old gmc semi thats about a million miles and covered in leaks it took the grime off 5 hours later

Last edited:

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also the green stuff is great but watch taking it i hear its like 70 bucks a bag

Believe me, my miserly father would have the guys bringing their own soap from home before he would pay more than five-bucks a bag for hand-cleaner, let alone seventy. LOL

We already have to bring our own toilet-paper from home. :rolleyes:

I regularly see him pay the uniform rental guy weekly for clothes for four men, a few bundles of grease-rags, plus a couple bladders of the green stuff, and the entire bill is always less than forty bucks. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online