What farts?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, strange post title, but it is the best thing I can think of to describe it. When I turn the key on, and wait for the glow plug light to go out, I hear what to me sounds like some kind of fart, a few seconds into the cycle, like a valve releasing vacuum or something. What the heck is that? LOL

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll bet you that's your glow plug relay on the way out.... Any hard starts lately?

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's the air being pushed out of the foam in that leather seatLOL ....:sorry:

Fuel pressure regulator on the drivers side /top of the fuel filter housing (under that fancy plastic Powerstroke engine decorative cover that I don't have). When you turn the key on the electric fuel pump starts building pressure and when it hits about 50 PSI the regulator on the return line opens......sometimes making a "farting" noise.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
vaccumm pump comes to mind

Could be that too, forgot it was electric on these, it's on the passenger front fender well. Also could be the ABS module in front of and below the drivers side battery.

Out of curiosity I just checked my truck and all 3 areas make a little farting noise when the key is turned on waiting for the glow plugs with the ABS being the loudest........Guess I need to quit feeding her burritosLOL

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
i figured it was the vac pump mine does the same thing. though i never wait for my GPs this time of year.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Mine does that to but sounds to be on the drivers side or dead ahead. Rule out GP relay. Mines new & it still does it.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah. Electric vacuum pump. Didn't notice that yet. Guess that is needed for the HVAC. That and the ABS sound like likely candidates. I didn't think there was anything wrong with it, just wanted to know what it is, so when it stops making that noise.... I'll know where to look. LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
440wagon