What exhausts work with Banks (other than Banks)?

Reaction score
Just to clarify, mine is a 2nd Gen Banks 'Sidewinder' kit. It's just not wastegated. And yes, such a beast does exist and was offered. It's just the wastegate version was way more popular.

Mike

Pianoman

Reaction score
I like the kit we put on my truck, I think it was $330 shipped from Summit. Probably a waste for a Turbo install tho, as you won't use the downpipes and maybe not the muffler. Like Brian said tho, easy install and big improvement flr N/A setup. I can ride the governer now, even with old broken fuel injection.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the kit we put on my truck, I think it was $330 shipped from Summit. Probably a waste for a Turbo install tho, as you won't use the downpipes and maybe not the muffler. Like Brian said tho, easy install and big improvement flr N/A setup. I can ride the governer now, even with old broken fuel injection.

we will get on that soon brother. maybe the middle of next month???
im not as pressed as i was earlier...

Pianoman

Reaction score
That sounds real good! I'm pretty open in January. I got the new 38gal tank, sender, lotsa fuel hose, Racor 500, and more doo dads ready to go!! My buddy who does sailboat diesels set me up with the Racor stuff, and a pile of good detailed advice too. He's used to fixing these things while bobbing around in the Pacific Ocean.....

Reaction score
***UPDATE***

So, curiosity and boredom got the better of me today and I took the truck over to the local muffler shop for a chat. I decided to straight pipe the truck by just having them slice out the muffler and install a piece of pipe in there. So now the truck has a 3" straight pipe setup exiting in the stock location (Banks exhaust is 3" unless you upgraded to the 3.5"). There were some interesting debates between the two shop guys as to whether this was going to make the truck intolerably loud or have no effect at all, especially since the Banks 'muffler' is really just a straight-shot resonator. Survey says: somewhere in between.

Idle is mildly different with just a bit more bass in the cab. Nothing raucous, but noticeable. Casual driving has a bit more growl but nothing obscene. WOT at upper revs gets "blatty", almost like I had glasspacks installed. It's not quite the noise I was expecting, but it sounds cool and isn't ridiculously loud, so I'm happy. The bit that really tickles me, though, is the bark I get while decelerating. You'd almost swear it has a jake brake or something. It made me chuckle quite a bit. I've only driven the 5 mile distance between work and the shop, but so far I'm having fun with it. For the $70 the shop charged, I figured it's 'no harm, no foul'. If I get tired of it, I'll either fab together a 4" system or buy the Diamond Eye system and have the shop make it fit (or have the shop put the Banks muffler back, but where's the fun in that LOL).

I took some video of the truck yesterday as a 'before' video. I'll take some video tomorrow and try my hand at editing them together.

Mike

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The diamond eye kit will fit pretty good. I just put one on the bosses nephews 97. I mocked it up on my 88 dually and since I will be hooking it to the Turbo I will use the whole thing with a mod at Turbo end. 300 for stainless isn't bad. IMO