What Does the TPS Do?

TBigLug

I Miss U Baby Girl
Reaction score
Mines unhooked. Just sitting on top of the motor still plugged in. Cruise still works. Doesn't seem to have any problems so what does it actually do?

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I do believe that it tells the transmission how far you have shoved the go pedal down so that it knows when to down shift. but not sure as my cummins was a manual and my previous dodge truck was an 84 with a kick down lever.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
The TPS is just as argve said....it does nothing more than tell the computer that the throttle has been pushed a certain distance, then the computer uses that and does a calculation to determine if it is OK to downshift.

It does not, however, have anything to do with cruise operation as that is a standalone subsystem.

TBigLug

I Miss U Baby Girl
Reaction score
Gotcha, does it have anything to do with increasing line pressure? ie... Will it damage my truck pulling my 24' gooseneck with it unhooked? I found the bracket and such in the glovebox so I can hook it back up to prevent damage. Found out he didn't hook it back up because it was getting in his way of messing with the pump.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86