What do you see?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like the title says. Tell me what you see. I'll wait a little bit and post up some more info.

I know you guys are good. :hail

You must be registered for see images attach

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ima gonna throw out a WAG and say looking like clutch/spacer disks wearing out and need replacement sintered or metalic flake oil to me!

Nothing glaringly obvious, such as broken teeth or such, can't say if C clip is wearing off on the RIGHT as it's not the best angle.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay. Here goes. Pulled the cover on the grocery getter. Had a lot of end play in the axles which research has told me is most likely the result of worn out clutch packs. I posted the pic because just looking at the spider gears, they look worn to me and there is currently a lot of slop in them.
So here are my questions:
1. Am I crazy or do the spider gears look worn? 125k easy miles

2. If so can I replace them without disassembling the entire diff? I think the answer is yes but I'm not sure. Never really been into one.

3. Is there anything else I should check while I'm in here. I don't plan on opening it up again...ever if at all possible. Once Big Red is road worthy, this truck is going up for sale. :D

Not an IDI, but it is an IDI support vehicle right now. Better for me to learn on it than the one I plan on keeping. ;Sweet

Thanks for the input. Keep it coming.

jasonhughes

Reaction score
i see what could be a crack in the middle tooth of the top spider gear

cant tell if thats just the picture though

idk the specifics of your axle. but getting that crosspin out could be a PITA while its still in there

of course i could be wrong and im sure more knowladgable people than I will chime in on this

im assuming this is the rear of the f150 mentioned as grocery getter in your sig?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. The f150 in my sig. I need to get it happy again so I can haul my parts truck home to get started on the other truck so its sorta IDI related. I'm sure the principles commute.

I donth think there are any cracks but they sure look awful round to me. I don't think they are supposed to be that way so much. :dunno

Off to ask google for some pictures.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks like an 8.8 to me and id say theres some odd wear on the spider gears for sure.

if you dont do rears i wouldnt mess with it much as setting the shims and all cam be a pita.

i would pull a carrier in good shape at a yard and just swap the spiders ring looks good.

you knock out the pin, remove c clips, slide axles out a few inches, then remove spiders.

the pin is the hardest part if it is the 150 they need to be punched into the housing at a certain angel. just when you hit cast move it up some and youll eventually get it out.

also raise the front for a day and let it drain the fluid left over makes a much easier job.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
aslo for reference the idi is a flull floater axle where the axle retainers are on the outside by the wheel, not a clip. the bolts on the hub are used to pull the idi asles out and me personally id rather do this job on an idi. this is also a open diff being a 150 and the idi is a limited slip. the ls uses clutch packs to allow both wheels traction and the design is much different than the 150 8.8 however the idi is the same as a mustang for the ls and for axle removal its like a 9 inch

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is also a open diff being a 150 and the idi is a limited slip. the ls uses clutch packs to allow both wheels traction and the design is much different than the 150 8.8 however the idi is the same as a mustang for the ls and for axle removal its like a 9 inch

This is a POSI in the picture just so you know! That Zspring is a ***** to get back in when replacing btw.

I don't personally see any odd wear, however I'm not there to inspect closely!

Undo cross shaft retaining bolt, IIRC 5/16" or 7 or 8 MM

Press cross shaft out

press axles INWARDS this releases tension so C clips can be removed,

Rotate spiders and pop them out, along with side gears, OH WAIT STUPID Z SPRING DOH...

I'd suggest a clutch pack kit and rebuild that posi if your in replacing gears btw...so that's another story or slight change in this one!

JM2CW

Al

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a limited slip 8.8 and the spring is called a s spring they are not that hard to rebuild. There is videos on youtube on how to rebuild and how to get the s spring out and in. I have a 96 ranger with the 28 spline 8.8 but have a 31 spline exploder axle with disk brakes im putting in. All my spider gears have looked similar. Check out youtube for the videos.....

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I replaced the clutch packs and re shimmed them. Yes the s spring is a ***** to put back in. Got it though. If anybody wants pics let me know. See other thread I just started. :D

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its an 8.8....they are dime a dozen....find a good junkyard rear and keep on truckin ;Really

right.my thoughts exactly.especially for a truck that's simply just going up for sale.i would have never overcomplicated that situation.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online