What did my truck cost new?

Mike-M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im just curious. I have a '90 XLT Lariat ext cab 4x4. About how much would it have cost at the dealership 25 years ago?

I just spec'd out a '15 equivalent to mine and it was just under $63k :eek:

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone will chime in before I get a chance to get to it, but when I bought my truck they had the original window sticker. Will take a pic if I can find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try different Vin decoders, I can't remember which one but it showed my 94 was $22,000.

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
20k in 1990 is equivalent to 36k in todays money. The power of inflation.

Original MSRP price on mine was $17,263.00

Last edited:

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the sticker for my 89. It was around $15,000 new. F250HD, diesel, c6 auto, lariat, regular cab, 4x4.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I paid 17k for my 2009 6.4, FWIW. Put 50k miles on it over 3 years and sold it for 13.5k cash.

New at a dealer is the worst deal possible for a consumer.

Glad I contributed nada to the thread ;Sweet

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the sticker for my 93 regular cab in my sig. 25,609.00

You must be registered for see images attach

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
its really impressive how little these trucks depreciate!!! i new they were valuable before i bought mine to fix, but recently when i ran the blue book and found out a 93' factory turbo 2wd CCD is worth 7grand in good condition. That's really impressive for anything 22 years old especially an old "farm truck". Whats difficult is to determine value with aftermarket add ons. my truck has 9grand in aftermarket parts all bought new for the truck thought its life. Cant get a a good idea of what its worth if i decide to sell it.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Imo, you can't add aftermarket parts cost onto book value.
Book value is book value.
There was a early crew cab powerstroke that sold for near $30k not long ago. Thing was immaculate though. And only had something like under 40k miles.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
Imo, you can't add aftermarket parts cost onto book value.
Book value is book value.
There was a early crew cab powerstroke that sold for near $30k not long ago. Thing was immaculate though. And only had something like under 40k miles.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

ive heard a few other people say the same thing, but i have to respectfully disagree with you on that one.

these trucks are tools, they are not just toy. If it were a toy with custom work like a 90's sports car that might be one thing.

But the add ons in most cases are necessary for drive-ability and the purpose of owning the truck, witch would be to tow/pull with.

For instance im not bashing non-turbo diesels, ive heard great things about there capabilities....but

The truth of the matter is, non-turbo diesels fell off a long time ago, the majority of people searching for a diesel expect it to be turbocharged, as youll see by looking at the growing market, turbocharging is used on EVERY diesel engine.

I worked road construction fresh out of highschool, even the concrete cutting saws that had up to 48" diamond blades on them for cutting the road, had turbochargers, a little garret on there! 4cylinder diesel and this is a saw you stand behind you dont ride LOL

The bottom line is almost the entire diesel market wants turbo-diesel trucks, the non-turbo market is almost non-existent. Why would i think/say this? look at the market: it only has turbo diesel trucks available. why? drivability, towing power, especially on hills, throttle response, etc. the diesel needs/wants more air naturally.

Like gale banks said "no diesel is complete until its turbocharged" this has proven true by looking at the market, you cant find a non-turbo for a truck anywhere....because its a necessity

Also i feel a lot of people have had these trucks so long (many on here since they were new) they forget/dont realize these trucks are in and still entering "classic/historical" status

Values change when they enter "historical" value, i assume thats why kbb only goes back 22 years. But with that being said:

As a truck 25 years old or older its now a "historical vehicle" no different than a historical car.

My hypothetical question is:

If you saw an old sports car, one in "historical status" and were hypothetically trying to buy it,

Would you claim to the guy selling it, that the huge supercharger on it doesn't increase its value at all because its "aftermarket/custom"?

Last edited:

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
My 1987 250 6.9 c-6 ext cab 4x4 with all available options that year was like $18,500 sticker if I remember right.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also i feel a lot of people have had these trucks so long (many on here since they were new) they forget/dont realize these trucks are in and still entering "classic/historical" status

Values change when they enter "historical" value, i assume thats why kbb only goes back 22 years. But with that being said:

As a truck 25 years old or older its now a "historical vehicle" no different than a historical car.

Being "historical" or "collectable" is a very subjective thing. Just because something passes some sort of anniversary of age, doesn't necessarily make it more valuable or a desirable collectible vehicle. There are many cars made through the years that will never be collectable and increase in value. I don't see these trucks being collectible in the near future for the simple fact that too many were made, and there is really no significance to them as far as engineering or rarity. The first model in my mind that could possibly be collectable would be the early 94 idi turbo. They were made for a very short time, and were engineered that way from the factory. But even then, it will be years before they become collectable.

My hypothetical question is:

If you saw an old sports car, one in "historical status" and were hypothetically trying to buy it,

Would you claim to the guy selling it, that the huge supercharger on it doesn't increase its value at all because its "aftermarket/custom"?

Yes I would. If you are going to have a pristine low mileage early diesel pickup, it had better be all original to command top dollar. No mods whatsoever. Anything changed would devalue it. Even down to the water separator that everyone deletes because they leak. How many of those old trucks will you find with the water separator still on it and hooked up? Not many.

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
Yes I would. If you are going to have a pristine low mileage early diesel pickup, it had better be all original to command top dollar. No mods whatsoever. Anything changed would devalue it. Even down to the water separator that everyone deletes because they leak. How many of those old trucks will you find with the water separator still on it and hooked up? Not many.

You seem to be talking about the reference of historical vehicle as "collectable" they are not the same thing. When talking about a "collectable" vehicle of course you want everything all original, but im not talking about a "collectable" vehicle that's going to sit on a show room floor or in a private collection in a private garage. Those are bigbigbig dollar vehicles. As i said its a tool, not a "collectible" piece. Many vehicles are classics but not "collectible".

E.G.-

there are tons of old mustangs, classic mustangs, but the collectible mustangs would be like the "k" code or the shelby because of there rareness. The rest of the mustangs out there are still classics, they still appreciate in value, but they are hardly viewed as "collectable".

There is a big difference between a "collectable/show-car/all-original" and a "classic-hotrod/classic-diesel"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online