What clutch kit to use with Lucky Mod?

87F250

Reaction score
I'm going to do a clutch job real soon and I'm going to do the Lucky Mod on the flywheel. So, can anyone tell me exactly which clutch kit to buy for use with the modified DMF? Like what size and does the clutch disc need to be for a SMF or a DMF? Any info from you guys that have done this is greatly appreciated.

Logroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do a mod when u can go buy a new flywheel and clutch kit from southbend.com that will turn it into a smf ,,, i think i have 600$ in mine and its the 12 1/4 "

George_7.3IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing that for some people can be annoying is the rollover noise of transmission with changing from DMF to SMF. In my case I changed my DMF to a Luk SMF and you can definitely hear the rollover noise at low RPM but at cruising it doesn't bother. Several people on here have put in a Valeo SMF which IIRC is a 12 1/4" and from what I've heard the rollover noise is nearly non existent with those. Not sure if the same is true about the setup from southbend. If I had known about the very little rollover noise with the Valeo I would installed that one as it would have been about the same price as the Luk setup that I used.

George

Logroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well for mine the only time i hear rollover is when i shift down at lower speeds dont really hear it at idle ,, i know it was bad when i first put it in but after the 500mile break in and my first tow it is practically gone , might hear it once in a blue moon but not enough to annoy me ... and im a big stickler about hearing noises and vibration and anything else ,,, but hard to get around on an idi

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I have a nearly brand new clutch kit for a lucky mod if you are interested, got less than 50 miles on it. My mom said she hated the gear rollover noise so we had to buy a new DMF for her truck instead.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
What the heck is this roll over noise you guys keep talking about

Well if your trans is in decent condition you wont have much to worry about, but if its got some wear on it, take a coffee can and throw a bunch of rocks in there, shake it around really hard and thats what gear roll over noise sounds like. ;Sweet

antivtec

Brown Bomber
Reaction score
Well if your trans is in decent condition you wont have much to worry about, but if its got some wear on it, take a coffee can and throw a bunch of rocks in there, shake it around really hard and thats what gear roll over noise sounds like. ;Sweet

haha good to know, I've never noticed anything like that in any manual trans vehicle ive driven. of course i have awful hearing so that could be the reason why i cant hear it.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to do a clutch job real soon and I'm going to do the Lucky Mod on the flywheel. So, can anyone tell me exactly which clutch kit to buy for use with the modified DMF? Like what size and does the clutch disc need to be for a SMF or a DMF? Any info from you guys that have done this is greatly appreciated.

I just went to autozone's site, and a lot of their DMF kits have the clutch disc with the springs in the hub. You need a clutch kit for a original DMF, but one that has the springs in the hub. The original setup and some of the replacement DMF clutch kits have the clutch disc with the solid hub and no springs, that's the one you want to avoid if you bolt your flywheel together.

I did the lucky mod to my truck, and I can tell you right now it is noisy. Everyone has their own description of what the noise sounds like, but basically what the solid flywheel does is transfer all that diesel clatter into the transmission. So the rhythmic diesel sound from the engine gets amplified through the transmission since the DMF is not there anymore to dampen it. I think some people may have different descriptions on the sound because possibly their truck idles a little different. A rougher idling engine is going to make the tranny noise even louder.

Then you may read about heavier oils helping to quiet the tranny. They do a little bit, but shifting in colder weather is terrible. I put straight 30w motor oil in mine first, and it did quiet it down a little bit, but it was impossible to shift until the tranny oil warmed up. I am now running 10w-30 motor oil, and I still have to double clutch the tranny till I get down the road a couple of miles. I think someone's suggestion of using synthetic oil may be the answer, though expensive.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
YEs, synthetic helps them shift better, and they shift better when cold than it did on the factory spec dino 20 wt atf. I'm running a 30 wt synthetic ATF. I'm running the Amsoil version, but there are plenty of others out there as this is a standard lube for most heavy truck manual trannys.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've yet to decide just how important the springs in the disc really are. I'm about to find out, as I will soon convert the Moosestang to manual trans, and will be installing a lucky mod with solid disk as part of the project.

87F250

Reaction score
O.K.. thanks everyone. I've found a couple of OEM replacement clutch sets available for around 190.00 with a center sprung disc. Just trying to keep the cost down by going with the modified DMF.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I've yet to decide just how important the springs in the disc really are. I'm about to find out, as I will soon convert the Moosestang to manual trans, and will be installing a lucky mod with solid disk as part of the project.

Better get ready for the shaking of a lifetime. Remember, the first clutches made historically, didn't have springs in them. They came up with that handy little innovation for a real good reason.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes