what clutch and flywheel is this

yotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$500 parts truck had the flywheel bolts sheer off the crank. question is,

what clutch and flywheel is this?
and what would cause the bolts to sheer off in the crank like in pic 2?
in pic 3 it is hard to see but the clutch says luke, and it is a 12 1/4"

Attachments

• GEDC0008.jpg
    GEDC0008.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 24
  • GEDC0009.jpg
    GEDC0009.jpg
    885.1 KB · Views: 30
  • GEDC0010.jpg
    GEDC0010.jpg
    769.6 KB · Views: 14

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Over torquing the flywheel bolts would be my first guess.
It looks like a LUK SMF conversion kit. Be prepared to pull the crank to get that fixed.

yotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Over torquing the flywheel bolts would be my first guess.
It looks like a LUK SMF conversion kit. i hope whoever buys it off you is prepared to pull the crank to get that fixed.

fixed:D

i bought the truck for the transmission and the rest of my 4wd conversion parts. i will sell it for what i bought it for, but with a 2wd trannie and rear driveline(in the bed ofcorse)

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Chances are when the guy went to put the smf on, he used the bolts from the factory dual mass flywheel, which are a different length , if memory serves me the dmf bolts are shorter and would not have very many threads grabbing.

I got my crank bolts at Fastenal at the suggestion of the dealer as that is where they get all their flywheel bolts, they don't send off for the $45 set from the factory. If you do get aftermarket, get them from a place like Fastenal that supplies tested, load rated bolts, and do not buy them from Lowes etc or you will be back in the same boat soon.

Max Speed

Reaction score
My truck had the same problem when I got it.. Bolts with no lock tight in the fly wheel caused them to back out. The the side to side slaming action on the loose bolts of the fly wheel caused by letting out the clutch caused a side shear action.. they shear off..

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the new bolts that come with the kits have some pre-applied thread goo on them. If I swap out the bolts for some of known quality, what is the recommended thread sealant and does it affect the tightening torque?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I know the new bolts that come with the kits have some pre-applied thread goo on them. If I swap out the bolts for some of known quality, what is the recommended thread sealant and does it affect the tightening torque?

I don't have the torque figure handy, but you need some blue locktite on the threads because the crank holes are tapped through to the crankcase and will leak oil out if you don't. Those bolts needs to be shouldered where they contact the flywheel as well or the will be prone to letting the flywheel walk around if you are rough on clutch engagements