What are the Structural Weaknesses of the IDI

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
JD I believe the DS4 uses the same 4 plunger head, theres also different diameters of plunger avalible.

As far as turbos are concerned, I saw the remote mount DT466 system that one of the other posters made recently. Depending on how much flow needed, I would propose parallel twins, remote mounted, non wastegated with boost controlled by the fuel.
The numbers are like this:

400hp needs 55.7 pounds of air per minute
450hp needs 62.7 pounds of air per minute
500hp needs 69.7 pounds of air per minute
550hp needs 76.6 pounds of air per minute

These numbers are based on a 22 to 1 A/F ratio and .38 BSFC. This is a low to no smoke settup.

The boost requirement is going to depend on how fast the motor will spin. I based everything on 3600 rpms, yet for what I would want to do 4500-5000 is ideal. The boost requirement goes up with the slower engine speed.

400hp with a 6.9 needs roughly 28.4 psi boost absolute
7.3 needs roughly 26.8 psi boost absolute

450hp with a 6.9 needs roughly 31.93 psi boost absolute
7.3 needs roughly 30.14 psi boost absolute

500hp 6.9 (35.5 psi absolute)
7.3 (33.5 psi absolute)

550hp 6.9 (39 psi absolute)
7.3 (36.8 psi absolute)

If the engine was revved out to 4500 rpms, then the boost requirement drops by a good 7-8 psi. The numbers are provided that there isn't a restriction in the system, and for a more accurate number add 2 to the absolute numbers to take into account the losses in the piping and intercooler in the system.
The ratio seems to be roughly 14hp-15hp/pound of boost depending on engine size and air density.

Back to the fuelling side; what is the maximum a DB2 can put out? What plungers are available to increase the rate and is there enough room to produce at least 50hp/cylinder?

Last edited:

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
http://www.stanadyne.com/view.php?id=40

According to that the pumps limit on a V8 is 320HP

Thanks for the link. That only comes out to 25cc's worth of fuel at the factory setting per cylinder. That's not enough by a long shot. Going to need at least 35cc's per cylinder to support 450hp. If the capacity were doubled and then adjusted to whatever power level desired, that would make life easier. As long as the airflow is there, it would mean a potential 640hp worth of fuel at max rate.
What determines overall capacity with this style pump versus the plunger style pump?

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the more unique setups I've seen on the web over the years was a GM 6.2 that someone had put TWO DB2 injection pumps on it. Basically had them running on their own custom gear box, and had the outputs in parrallel plumbed together. One way or another, lack of fuel is never a problem.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
One of the more unique setups I've seen on the web over the years was a GM 6.2 that someone had put TWO DB2 injection pumps on it. Basically had them running on their own custom gear box, and had the outputs in parrallel plumbed together. One way or another, lack of fuel is never a problem.

That was that 6.2 powered Fergie from either Finland or the Netherlands. Revs to the moon, got a single HX50 on it. Blew it up again in the quest for more power, but really powerful when it holds together.
Just out of curiosity, how much hp can a Moose pump support, and can your builder make a DB style pump with enough volume to support 400hp or more? I am not asking for proprietary info, just what are the parameters we are working with. How much hp can the Moose Misters support?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those are good questions. I don't really have an answer, but I'll take up a discussion with him and see if if I can provide some numbers of some kind. The Moose Misters are brand new, so there is practically no info on them, but hopefully after the rally there will be a review. There are probably about 15 Moose Pumps out there in the world, so maybe the chances of one of them getting dyno'ed will be getting better.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
I also considered what Brian Block did with the Bosch VE by making a 14mm head unit to really up the volume. Maybe a big head unit can be made for the DB2/4 with bigger plungers and such. If it means keeping the basic chassis and not having to fab up a plate to put a P style pump on, I'd rather that be done.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent