What are the differences between bb and gg injectors?

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I watched Icanfixall's U-tube side-by-side comparison of bb and gg injectors.
I'm not clear on which type would be used on which application. Does anyone know the answer to this?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is my understanding that the G code injectors were changed for better emissions........Not for performance. BB code is all that can be bought new and they are felt to be better for general operation of your IDI.

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That sums it up Monte. For a long time the G codes were felt to be the hot setup because they pop at a higher pressure. Up around 2200 lbs. I talked to Russ in depth about this and he showed me how wrong I was to be running G codes. So I bought a set of Bb from him and wow... What an improvement in mileage and hp. It was like adding two extra cylinders to me engine. I tested the G codes and they were popping open at around 2100 lbs and none were leaking thru or shot. actually they were around 2000 lbs and rather new injectors.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
go look at the dyno result thread. i posted up a pic of my runs. one with g codes and one with bb codes.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I have run both lots of miles, the bb code injectors are better in almost every way, although I lost 2 mpg towing with the bbs compared to the g code. Unloaded mpg is the same to slightly better with the bb code injectors.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I can tell you the springs are differant in the G codes as are the pintels. I'm not able to see into the nozzles but I bet they are differant too. Increaseing the pop pressure in the Bb codes may give us something to talk about here. 1850 is what they are factory set for. Increasing them to 2000 lbs migh give some hp increase. I think this was discussed here with Russ some time back....:dunno

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can tell you the springs are differant in the G codes as are the pintels. I'm not able to see into the nozzles but I bet they are differant too. Increaseing the pop pressure in the Bb codes may give us something to talk about here. 1850 is what they are factory set for. Increasing them to 2000 lbs migh give some hp increase. I think this was discussed here with Russ some time back....:dunno

I just started another thread asking about the effect of pop pressure on ignition timing. This may be the reason your rig idles so smooth and others don't.