What am i?

seacoats

Reaction score
On my 1990 7.3 IDI, this part is seeping oil. The oil is coming out around where the two pieces join, near the screws.

http://imgur.com/4IAPZ,z92IM

There's also a strange hole that's shown in close up in the 2nd photo.

Also, this part, which is right next to it, is leaking a small amount of radiator fluid from it.

http://imgur.com/t4ki3,bq3AS

In the second photo, the dark area to the bottom left is where the oil filter lives, and the nose of the truck is to the left. In the first photo, the vent looking thing in the center is where the leak is coming from. It appears to be radiator fluid, but also there is some oil there. I'm not sure that they're coming from the same place. Any ideas what these parts are? I'm new to working on trucks and have a couple of books about the motor, but none of them cover the transmission. :/

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first image is more than likely one of the valve cover gaskets leaking because my truck leaks from the same spot. The second image is more of a concern. I would check your head gaskets behind the engine. Sometimes a leaking head gasket will cause coolant to travel down to that location. The oil leak could also be your rear main seal but probably just the valve covers.

seacoats

Reaction score
Seems like a silly question, but how would i go about checking the head gaskets? I found a bit of info in my Haynes book about them, but the only time the book shows them is after the heads are removed. Is there a good way to check them without tearing into the motor? Would i be checking them from the top (with the hood open) or from underneath? Thanks for answering my silly questions.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
It's not a silly question. You check them by looking around where the head meets the block, you're looking for grey/white trails where the coolant has boiled/evaporated off. Or actual trails of coolant coming from that seam.

Also look at your heater lines, and where they attach to the heater core by the firewall.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Start the truck grab a creeper an lay under her with an led light only led works best an look around for while you will find it. That's what I have done or maybe you can borrow a mechanic cam an use that.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have coolant coming out from the transmission inspection cover there is a good possibility that a rear CORE plug AKA FREEZE Plug that could be weeping ....that's NOT GOOD...requires special tools FEW shops have them and a only a few members here have them.

The other shot your first one, appears to me it's a leaking valve cover that is coming down the back/side of engine, I could be wrong

JM2CW

Al

JwS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you are looking at the clutch/torque converter cover (not sure if you are automatic or manual), lots of stuff can leak out of there. Sometimes leaks from other places find their way there before they actually drip off, Take a careful look at the back of the engine on the drivers side between the cylinder head and block, this is a common(ish) leak area for coolant from the head gasket. A leak there will run down the back of the engine and end up where you are showing. Like the guy said above, look for evidence of dried coolant if you don't see any wet. Look at the bottom side of all the hoses for residue, and if any seem new make sure the hose clamps are still tight.
I am not sure what to recommend if you find the leak from that head gasket area, I can only tell you I had one when I bought my van, I kept an eye on it and it stopped and has never been a problem since, but that is my story on it...
JwS

seacoats

Reaction score
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?59047-Head-gasket-question
the photo part way down on this thread is almost exactly what the underside of my truck looks like. dried up white coolant streaks coming from where i think the head gasket lives. hrmmmm. :dunno it's also getting worse. it didn't used to drip at all, now there's a few drops of coolant after parking it for a bit. certainly not in a place to pull the heads and do a repair on it now. anyone used the stop leak stuff on these? how bad is it to just keep driving it? as far as the oil leak goes, there's some oil on the valve covers on both sides at the back of the motor. (not sure what cylinders those are, it's the first 2 on each side). the oil lead doesn't appear to be getting worse. also, i think i didn't wait long enough after driving when i last checked the oil level. now it's right at the full line where it should be.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
welcome to idi ownership. mine leaked like that for about five months before i finally got around to fixing it. you could try stop leak, might work. or trade it off for something more reliable seein how your away from anywhere?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?59047-Head-gasket-question
the photo part way down on this thread is almost exactly what the underside of my truck looks like. dried up white coolant streaks coming from where i think the head gasket lives. hrmmmm. :dunno it's also getting worse. it didn't used to drip at all, now there's a few drops of coolant after parking it for a bit. certainly not in a place to pull the heads and do a repair on it now. anyone used the stop leak stuff on these? how bad is it to just keep driving it? as far as the oil leak goes, there's some oil on the valve covers on both sides at the back of the motor. (not sure what cylinders those are, it's the first 2 on each side). the oil lead doesn't appear to be getting worse. also, i think i didn't wait long enough after driving when i last checked the oil level. now it's right at the full line where it should be.
stop.
relax.
you are being excessively paranoid.
two pint bottles of Bar's leak in orig formula will take care of your issues.
AFTER YOUR TRIP AND WHEN YOU ARE IN THE MOOD....do the headgaskets then.
these motors can take a leak of that nature easily.
stop worrying about it. put in the Bar's leak and enjoy the rest of your trip.
and no the **** won't stop up your cooling system. it's OE approved and just plain works.
I just finished a 6k/mile run on a truck with 310k/mi on the ODO. truck performed fine. the human driving it didn't fare too good.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^what he said. People tend to freak out when they see a little dribble from the headgaskets. It is very common with these engines as many of us know. I have heard of guys running a couple 100k miles knowing the gaskets weep a little coolant and/or oil and never had major issues. A stop leak may work for a while and keep you at ease. Now if you start getting white smoke and/or coolant in the oil, or have to top off coolant frequently, the headgaskets need to get addressed asap.