What a difference

surfib

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got my new starter in along with battery cables, new solenoid to starter wire, and new batteries.

Let me tell you, after letting the glow plugs cycle and giving the key a turn, I can't believe I didn't do it years a go. Literally spun so fast I let go of the key cause I thought something was wrong!

If you haven't done it, do it!!!

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Replacing the cables is the key. I went with custombatterycables.com and it was night and day different.

Thad

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear ya, I cleaned all the corrosion off my cabling, new starter and group 31s and she spins great now :thumbsup:

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, makes a world of difference. I cooked the starter my truck came with thanks to damaged battery cables. Ended up costing me cables, starter & batteries. Lesson learned.

It's worth it to put an extra 2g ground cable from the battery negative to the starter mounting bolt. Makes life easier on it if you have any oil leaks or it gets real dirty under there.

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good tip on the extra ground....I like the name too.

Worked on a 460 that soaked (and killed) the starter with oil, installed the new one with the extra cable, and it was still going strong (although soaked) last I saw. Sold me on doing it to my vehicles and any I work on that are getting a new starter or cables. Some people just don't want to bother paying to fix leaky valve covers/intake gaskets/oil senders...:rolleyes:

As far as the name; OB didn't allow me enough letters to use 'ihate' like I do on the other forums I'm on. Had the email address for 10+ years now, and still keep it, though I haven't worked for minimum wage in a LONG time. :D