Wellman glow plugs

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL..
I've had Wellmans in my truck and 2 others going on 6 years now, with zero issues other than one under warranty in my truck, and an incident that involved leaving my truck at a friends place and them trying to start it while inebriated... I came back to find it with a dead battery and burnt out glows...
YMMV however, and for a 7.3 style system, I still recommend, and install nothing but beru's.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doubt very much he's still got the Wellman's in there yet, unless he's still trying to get them out. ;Really :dunno LOL

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may have been really stupid for doing this but I was curious if they were any good....I threw one of those Bosch green stripe glow plugs in when the most recent beru ZD9 bit the dust. I typically suggest that people stick with beru/MC if they can and always tell them to avoid Autolites and Champions. Mixing brands is probably not best practices, but a new Bosch had identical resistance to a new beru so I thought that for our SS controller that was the critical parameter. I was really curious since the Bosch have gotten everything from a reasonable substitute for ZD9s to very poor, although importantly have not been implicated in breaking off and sticking in the hea, just burning out faster than the berus. I know I'm taking a chance and I feel it's my own fault if something bad happens but it's for science ;) So far it acts just like the berus we'll see if it does so long term and if it is hard to remove when it dies, maybe I'll even update this thread. I have a feeling the Bosch green stripe plugs are pretty good but until we have many reps on them the beru still has to be considered the preferred plug.

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
I know this thread was resurrected from the depths of history, but it does bring up an interesting point. My experience with Wellman's was not a happy one, Replaced all 8 at one time, within 6 weeks 3 of them had burned out. Don't know if I got a bad batch or what, but the problem certainly wasn't advanced timing! I've had one set of ZD-9's in for a year and a half now and they all work flawlessly...

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wellman has a 12V plug that I would like to try. It's for the military Hummer and will screw right in, though it has a spade plug end. The wellmans for our trucks are 6V. A 12V would give us the ability to up grade our wiring. But how well do the wellmans work with the SS controller.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think anything other than the ZD-9s or something that is a very close match to them will work right with the 87+ controller. I think I'd run the 12V Wellmans for the Military humvees by making my own harness (overbuilt for sure) with the 6.9 style glow plug relay and a momentary toggle. Gone would be much of the concern of burning out glow plugs as you have with 6V on a 12V manual system. You sure won't burn out 12V plugs on 12V or 6V plugs on 6V by glowing them 15 instead of 8 seconds, in fact I bet you'd need 25-30 seconds just to get them as hot as a normal controller gets them or as 8 seconds gets the ZD-1A or ZD9s.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online