Well tranny finally got fed up!

sootman73

Reaction score
mon night my tranny burned up. went to work just fine and then got half way home. took it straight to a tranny shop in town for a professional diagnosis. burnt. rolls forward in reverse at any and all rpms. runs fine cold (can spin tires on concrete pad!) then nothing. well got a price quoted at $1650 for rebuild plus tax and $1000 core charge. nearly $2900 at one time. comes with a 3 year unlimited mileage nationwide warranty. company is ISO 9000 certified and each unit is dyno tested. what do ya think of the price and situation?

oh ya i think pullin a 23 foot camper to indiana and back the weekend before. i only pulled it back. i had to work the day they pulled it out there. it was a friends aunt that drove it. i told her she would be fine in OD at 55-60 mph. it weighed under 6000#! but she went 50-55 instead. i think it was just too low of rpms for the load. that would have put me at around 1500 rpm were as she coulda been at 1700-1800 rpms at my speed. plus they took back roads so there was a lot of stop and go. would have been better on turnpike which is how i brought it back.

2 gear started acting up first, it would completely skip it and go to third. i put it in 2nd and it slipped easily. started workin again about when were just about home. worked fine after that and then fine the next morning to work. it does have 213000 miles so i cant say pulling the camper caused it but it def pushed it over the edge. should be fixed within a month.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Running the skinny roads in OD with the kinds of temps the region has been having lately, it wouldn't surprise me if that was enough for it to make want to lay down. There would have been some serious slippage ( oops excuse me, torque multiplication , for those auto tranny purists :rolleyes: going on and the heat would have been intense.

Might want to check with Icanfixall and see what it cost him for that box from, BTS if you are going to be towing alot. BTS is in Northern AR along the MO line so shipping probably wouldn't be too horrible to there.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has been two years, but my tranny was $1850 installed with a one year warranty. It had an upgraded torque converter, and there was also a bearing that was upgraded. (I can't remember now which one that needs upgrading.)
I had it done by a local tranny shop that rebuilt them all the time. Actually they said they could stay in business with nothing but the Ford OD trannys.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That year truck only came with the E4OD trans. The C6 stopped in 88 trucks. My BTS cost $4500.00 but the warranty is what I paid for... Any horse power.... Any torque... No qusetions asked. Everything inside the BTS is new. The cheap stock converter has 25 square inches of friction material. The BTS converter has 150 square inches of friction material. Its a triple disc converter. Each gear has another clutch added to it also. I'm installing a Gear Vendors now so.... Thats $7800.00 in the transmission but I now have 7 forward gears while running 3.55 rears. I may even modify it so I can run in double overdrive. Then I'll have 8 gears....;p

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a 3 clutch TC for mine when I built it as well. Lockup feels just like a mild upshift even under moderate acceleration, very nice and firm.

I also added a 3rd OD clutch friction while I was at it. 3-4 is the firmest shift in the whole range so I won't be burning that one up. It is a ford recomended upgrade.

I wonder what could have gone wrong with yours. I had valve body troubles that were heat/line pressure aggravated where some gears would not work, but none had major mechanical faults with the hard parts. Seems strange that clutches would work cold but not at all when hot.

Unfortunately the E4OD is making a lot people a good living right now. The good news is that its become so competative that prices for upgrades have come down a lot in the last few years. Billet multi clutch torque converters used to be over $1000 now they are under $500. Steel gears are a lot cheaper now too. Don't skimp on the TC though.

I built mine myself and in all honesty I probably would not trust even the most reputable of shops to build my tranny, too many things to go wrong and I can't have downtime with my main work truck.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats kinda high for a stock replacement but the waranty is good. I had mine rebuilt the first time and all internals were upgraded to the latest and greatest, cost me $2000. Installed. A few years later the TC let loose so while it was out new clutches were put in, (4R100 clutches) Along with a billet tripple disc converter and higher line pressure spring.
So my advise, like already stated, DONT SKIMP ON THE T/C.
I bought one from a company that said it was comparable to a banks converter, this shop also does work for banks so it's probibly the same thing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online