well I want a cummins

bigoilburner19

Reaction score
ok so I have a 1987 ford f350 460 gasser and someone put a quad jet with a chevy intake and yeah ewwwwwwwwwww chevy I hate them and anything involving them. ok so who can tell me since im new and I need to know which fourm or website I can go to. plus I want a 12 valve from 94 to 98 and I also need a trans what type and I want a manual. and then I want to convert my truck to 4wheeldrive I know Ill need a solid front axle what type and what type of transfer case. and what about the front and rear lift? how far does it need to be lifted and what junk parts can I use for the suspension wise part that is my biggest fear.....can anyone help me:yell:

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
There is a conversion section for these kinda things. I am in the process of a similar project but a bit on the pricier end of things.

Those years Cummins came with a NV4500 5 speed manual which are pretty good but have an issue with losing 5th gear. If that is addressed, it is a pretty bulletproof tranny in a small package as long as you use the right lube.

I THINK they came with NP205 t-cases which are also very good. If you are lucky, you can find a truck to get the engine, tranny, and t-case all in one from. Piecing things together will yield some issues as you will also need the adapter from the tranny to the t-case and I think a 2WD tranny might not even take the adapter.

I do not think that you will need any lift at all. Some body lift will help you fit the engine in easier but I have mine in w/o any body lift. You should not need any suspension lift either.

Front axle... solid is not necessary but it is the easiest and best solution. You could use a TTB setup but a Dana 60 is ideal and should come from the same year range as your truck to bolt up.

Overall it adds up to some pricey parts but it can end up being quite a cool rig.

Some prices for you to compare to... Southern California area
I got my D60 locally for 750 complete rotor to rotor and springs/shocks too
'97 Engine I paid around 3k for but it locally; had only ~125k miles on it and less than 5k with the mods and the mods put it at around 500 horse and it had an exhaust brake and some other goodies
I got a newly rebuilt NV4500 with a bellhousing and shift tower for 1500 shipped to my door through ebay... comes with adaptor to T-case
For t-case, I opted to go with an Atlas 4 speed... close to 3k for that
You will also need motor mounts and lots of little things.

It all gets expensive but I hope to have a nice rig that will be more powerful, easier to work on, more efficient and reliable than any new truck out there for ~15k total.

gerehead8

Reaction score
[I THINK they came with NP205 t-cases which are also very good.]

They did not have NP205 t-cases they are NP241's.

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
I prefer the 94-98 12 valves for simplicity and ease of modification but that does not necessarily mean they are the best for you.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I'm partial to the P-pumped 12v's as well 94-98. You can make them a power house for next to nothing money wise compared to the others. Only thing is you have to get yer hands dirty to turn them up. The 98.5 and up 24 valves you can just plug in a programmer and can have like 5 different settings of power at the touch of a button.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
That's a program change away. If you go with the VP44 pumped motor, put a FASS or Airdog on it as soon as possible so you don't wipe out the injection pump. Then get a Smarty programmer, a good intake and a good exhaust system. Set on the lowest setting will get you what you want.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I think it was the 2004 model year and up has 610 ft-lbs of torque from the factory so if get one of those, all you have to do is put fuel in it along with a key to get kind of power.