well crap

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
I found out today that I do not have a dana 60, I have a dana 61--probably the least desireable of all the rear ends. Thankfully I talked to the mechanic before he started about my doubts.

Apparently the 61's carrier is offset about 3/8" to one side. He id'd it when he took the axles out and noticed that 1 was longer than the other.

So now I'll start over. 3.08's forever!

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Barney

Why is the D61 so undesirable? Is it the offset? I'll have to I haven't heard much about them so I'm assuming parts avail is small.

Tom

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
D61 is less desirable because it doesn't have as high of a weight capacity as a D70 or 80 or a 10.25, and its a bit of an oddball. I know for a fact you can roll 3.31s in there as I said Jahlun did that over on teh other forum with his ZF 5 and got some very enviable mileage. Barney as I mentioned before, I have a complete 10.25 that only needs brake drums to be serviceable. I would let it go for next to nothing but getting it to IN might be a bit of a bummer.

big jake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought jaluhn had 3.08s in the rear of that old truck, haven't seen him in awhile

big jake

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
D61 is less desirable because it doesn't have as high of a weight capacity as a D70 or 80 or a 10.25, and its a bit of an oddball. I know for a fact you can roll 3.31s in there as I said Jahlun did that over on teh other forum with his ZF 5 and got some very enviable mileage. Barney as I mentioned before, I have a complete 10.25 that only needs brake drums to be serviceable. I would let it go for next to nothing but getting it to IN might be a bit of a bummer.

Let me think about that.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think right about now, Barney will be ready for that D70, and a ZF5. His C6 just let go.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Umm, all rear ends have 2 different length axles. Is the tag still on the axle?
Post up the details off of it, I'm specifically looking for the Bill Of Materials number, which looks like so: 605169-11
Dana doesn't list a D60 for an 84, but, anything is possible.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Umm, all rear ends have 2 different length axles. Is the tag still on the axle?
Post up the details off of it, I'm specifically looking for the Bill Of Materials number, which looks like so: 605169-11
Dana doesn't list a D60 for an 84, but, anything is possible.
Maybe all axles in FORDS have different length axle shafts.

BUT some axles - the Chrysler 8.25 in my Jeep for example - have two identical axle shafts. Makes it much easier to pack the neccessary spares for a long wheelin' trip. Only need to bring one....

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should have worded that a bit differently, all axles with centered differentials have different length axles, axles with a slightly offset differential may have equal length axles. Then there's the ones that have the diff off on the pass side ala D18 equipped Deep and Land Cruiser

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im looking for a c6 that has let go? i need a case and it doesnt matter if its 2wd or 4wd as long as its diesel

crabbypaul

Reaction score
C6

I got a good 4x4 C6 rebuilt about 12000 miles ago. It was removed from my rusted out 83 will let it go cheap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk