Weird????

smokinporsche

Diesel Fan
Reaction score
yep, that's it. is it warm?

No it was cold, I stopped by Autozone and picked up a new one, installed and the magnet alt is gone! Haywire if this works you have made my day! All looks good so far I will let set overnight and let you know. :thumbsup:

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hope that fixes it. I havn't messed with an external voltage regulator in so long I forgot about them.

FYI - I replaced the glowplugs and glow plug relay just before you bought it so hopefully you don't have to mess with that for a while.

smokinporsche

Diesel Fan
Reaction score
Hope that fixes it. I havn't messed with an external voltage regulator in so long I forgot about them.

FYI - I replaced the glowplugs and glow plug relay just before you bought it so hopefully you don't have to mess with that for a while.

I really like the truck and have put more monies in it than I should, but what are big boys toys for anyway? LOL Adding the Banks Turbo really made a big difference! Tomorrow she gets the new 3.73 gears and limited slip. I will post some more photos soon. I have the new leather seats installed, turbo, new tripod gauages. Thanks again for getting me hooked in the big diesel world! I'm hooked! :hail I will be retiring from my job of 30 years in five years. I promised myself when that day comes and if big red lasts until then I will go buy me the new F-450 XLT twin turbo monster on the Ford A-Plan :thumbsup:

suv7734

Reaction score
I didn't realize you had the external regulator, that is your problem as stated above :). Check the ground to that external regulator and make sure you have a good one (common cause of failure). Usually a good idea to run one specifically for that. Also check the pigtail that goes into it to make sure there is no corrosion etc and also check the two pin plug on the alternator, both are common sources of problems.

Last edited: