weird transmission problems

Sam7.3

Reaction score
when i was driving home from the badlands in Indiana I was unable to go over 60 mph and the trans temp was at 220F. When i switched to the front take the trans temp dropped to 180 and i was able to go to 70. what could be causing this issue??

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm thinking a fuel supply problem from the rear tank....

Reasoning:

Engine not getting enough fuel, you are pushing harder on the throttle. The FIPL sees this as a hard acceleration (even though you aren't gaining speed) the TECA keeps the torque converter unlocked, which generates heat.....

You switch to the front tank, the engine is getting enough fuel for demand, you ease up on thr throttle to maintain speed, the TECA sees the FIPL at a lower level (not what it thinks is a hard acceleration) and allows the torque converter to lock. This in turn lowers RPM and heat being produced in the transmission.......

Sam7.3

Reaction score
What are the TECA and FIPL? Sorry if this seems like a stupid question but I just can't figure out what they stand for :dunno. What would be causing these fueling issues? The fuel pick up line in the tank?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, Here you go.

FIPL- Fuel Injection Position Lever (Throttle Position Sensor) It's the sensor on the side of the IP that tells the TECA how hard you are pushing the go pedal.

TECA- Transmission Electronic Control Assembly (transmission computer) This takes various inputs: RPM, FIPL, VSS (vehicle speed sensor) and tells the transmission what to do based on these inputs and the programming.

Fuel issue could be a partially block supply line or clogged tank switch port.... It should be at the tank switch back, since the front seems to be ok.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You were unable to go over 60MPH? You didn't dare due to trans temps or you had it to the floor and that's as fast as the truck would go? How much were you grossing?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86