Weird Starting?

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the open exhaust make it harder to start up, it seems people with the free flowing exhaust are having issues? My truck starts up no problem every time, hot or cold? Or is it just a coincidence.

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
My truck is a little slow to start when warm. Its really bad if I turn it off after driving it a while being warm, then a 3-5 minutes later trying to start it, it turns overs so slow, you can count them real easy.

My problem is that it turns over slow though, for how slow it turns over I say the IP is fine.

I wouldn't say my truck turns this slow, but it is pretty damn slow when hot, also it's already freakin 90* -cuss here, for the last 2 days!!!!! I'm gunna take the bottle of water with me today and try that, if its the IP ...... moose pump it is :D and paint will have to wait.....

I'm fixin' to get my act together now and go check the GP's. Would ya'll say this is something I'd be able to do myself (change them out) or should I just take it somewhere..... I'm no mechanic.... I know everyone here does it themselves, I just feel with my luck i'd break a tip off or something...... :dunno

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
Do the open exhaust make it harder to start up, it seems people with the free flowing exhaust are having issues? My truck starts up no problem every time, hot or cold? Or is it just a coincidence.

Nope, I've had my truck straight piped since the second day I've owned it. :yell:
When it's warm I don't even need to wait for the glow plugs, just turn the key & it fires right up everytime. :D

I wouldn't say my truck turns this slow, but it is pretty damn slow when hot, also it's already freakin 90* -cuss here, for the last 2 days!!!!! I'm gunna take the bottle of water with me today and try that, if its the IP ...... moose pump it is :D and paint will have to wait.....

I'm fixin' to get my act together now and go check the GP's. Would ya'll say this is something I'd be able to do myself (change them out) or should I just take it somewhere..... I'm no mechanic.... I know everyone here does it themselves, I just feel with my luck i'd break a tip off or something...... :dunno

Have you checked the batteries, alternator or starter? It doesn't sound like the case here but I wouldn't fully rule it out. Might even be a combo of a few diffrent problems...:mad:
The glow plugs aren't too hard.....on a non turbo truck. ;Really On a turbo truck they are more of a pain. Spray em down with WD40 or PB Blaster in advance to let it soak in & make em alittle easier to swap out. I made the mistake & thought they were a 10mm but they are (atleast mine are) a 3/8, even after being in there for so long they still came out rather easy. I know mine was night & day after I replaced em, fires right up even on a cold MI day.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Diesel engines are all about cranking speed...cold or hot.

Before committing to a IP, have a load/cranking speed test done...should cost no more than $40 at any good electrical/starter repair shop...I would shy away from the chain repair places Pep Boys etc.....unless you feel confident or know someone there.

Low batt = slow cranking speeds= hard starting.
This time of year in Fla, glow plugs are actually not needed :D

sassyrel

Reaction score
use tepid water when you pour over the ip---AND, wait one minute for the temps in the ip to stabilize--if you dont--youll shear the shaft off--ask me how i know---

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
Today I didn't actually have to even do the water thing, it fired Okay but also I didn't start and stop it very much, I drove places and parked it for an hour or so, so maybe tomorrow I'll start and stop and see if it acts up. I guess I might just have the shop do the GP's, turbo and all, I'm sure to screw something up, haha! go me!

I'm not committing to anything yet, just still figuring it out...

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
I guess I might just have the shop do the GP's, turbo and all, I'm sure to screw something up, haha! go me!

I'm not committing to anything yet, just still figuring it out...

Oh come on where's the fun in that? just get a 3/8" deepwell scoket & try to undo at least one. If that goes well move onto #2 then #3 & so on & so forth. If you get :mad: walk away from it for a few hours then come back to it.

BENZIN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would check the electrical 1st old batterys worn altinator or it could be
;Poke ;Poke FORD:rotflmao

SKimballC

Reaction score
Yeah, I wouldn't go dumping water on a good IP until you make sure your electrical and starting systems are up to *****. Seems I have heard around here that the water trick is more of a last resort deal.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Indeed it is. Here is the thing about glow plugs. In warm weather here, if the Moosestang sits for 4 hours, it will start without glow plugs. Period. If your warm starting in 90 degree weather within 4 hours of being at operating temps, I don't see how glow plugs can factor in at all. I think your more on-target for troubleshooting a slow spin. IP Heat soak usually wears off after about 1 hour. So, if your still having hot start issues in the 2 to 3 hour time frame, I'd think the starter is the only thing I would consider blaming. Usually a heat soaked IP that is worn, will still start with a full throttle application around 1 hour later. Watch for smoke at the tailpipe. If you've got smoke, it's probably the slow spin getting you.

sootman73

Reaction score
Indeed it is. Here is the thing about glow plugs. In warm weather here, if the Moosestang sits for 4 hours, it will start without glow plugs. Period. If your warm starting in 90 degree weather within 4 hours of being at operating temps, I don't see how glow plugs can factor in at all. I think your more on-target for troubleshooting a slow spin. IP Heat soak usually wears off after about 1 hour. So, if your still having hot start issues in the 2 to 3 hour time frame, I'd think the starter is the only thing I would consider blaming. Usually a heat soaked IP that is worn, will still start with a full throttle application around 1 hour later. Watch for smoke at the tailpipe. If you've got smoke, it's probably the slow spin getting you.

exactly what i was thinking. the starter is cheaper than the IP anyway. if you have smoke "falling" out of the tailpipe then it is getting fuel. think about it this way. on a gas motor what are the things you check first when diagnosing a no start? air, fuel, and ignition(spark) you are obviously getting air, are you getting fuel? (mentioned above), if so how is your ignition source?(not spark of course) ignition in a diesel is the GP's and compression(speed of engine also).

this is how i always go to diagnosing an engine no matter what type.

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
I didn't think the GP's not working were related to it not starting right away in 90* weather. That's just my issue first thing in the morning really. But when I get a chance this week I'm going to swap them all out and that should be the end of that story.

What's the best way to "test" the starter without removing it? If there is such a way.... Also, when it's cranking I do get some smoke, so that would answer the "is it getting fuel" question. Thanks for everyone's advice on this stuff!....

suv7734

Reaction score
I
What's the best way to "test" the starter without removing it? If there is such a way.... Also, when it's cranking I do get some smoke, so that would answer the "is it getting fuel" question. Thanks for everyone's advice on this stuff!....

The only way to really test it on the truck is to do a current draw test. A good alternator/starter shop should be able to do that for you.
Another thing to check is the ground connections at the block. There is one connection on either side.
Next time you have to crank it a bit to get it going go out and feel the battery cables once it starts. You looking for anything that feels warmer than ambient temperature which will indicate an issue.