webasto install

Johnboy

Johnboy
Reaction score
I finally picked up a webasto coolant heater.:rotflmao Wondering if anyone here has installed their own. I'm trying to figure out the best place to steal and return coolant. I have already tagged into the heater lines to go to my wvo system. I was thinking about using these same lines but not sure if that is the best place because of the coolant pump on the webasto. Any thoughts?

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
I'm not sure how big the lines have to be but one of the block drain plugs would be a good place to pull coolant from.

Johnboy

Johnboy
Reaction score
Thanks CDX825. The lines are 5/8". I'll look around on the bottom of the block. It's a little tough being in a van and having that huge crossmember though. I was thinking about returning it to the extra plug on top of the water pump.
If anyone out there has a webasto, espar, or similar on their idi, it would be great to know how theirs were hooked up.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it has a pump you could run it on the heater core lines. They're 5/8ths.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
There are plugs in the top of the heads that are 1/2" NPT you could use as well.

I would try to get a cross flow going if you could. Say for example pull out of the drivers side bottom and return to the passenger side top.

Johnboy

Johnboy
Reaction score
I got around to installing the webasto. It finally got cold up here, so its a good time for projects in the shop. I ended up interrupting the heater hose from the heater core to the water pump. So the path the coolant takes is from the back of block through the heater core onto the webasto(then through extra heater core,then wvo components)and returns back to the water pump. Should be firing everything up here soon after the kid goes down for a nap.

Johnboy

Johnboy
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the little device is that's plumbed into the heater hose between the back of the block and the heater core? It's black plastic and has a wire running to it. I'm thinking that it's a valve that opens when the heater is turned on. If that's the case there shouldn't be any problem with just taking it out, right?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Sounds right. Just stops hot coolant flow when ac is on.
Didn't think any vehicles that early had it.
Should be fine to take it out.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

Johnboy

Johnboy
Reaction score
Took out the valve and it was vacuum actuated. Webasto working great. Drove around on wvo today
at -27F.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online