We tried our first batch.....

bct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So all this nasty oil i been dealin with titrated out at 14 or so..... guess thats pretty bad. its 2 days after the sample litre was made and only have about .5" separation, but yesterday was .25" so i think its still workin on it. We used red devil on the sample, but I think we're going to use KOH for production, so the titrations may come out a little diffrent. I'm diggin the whole bio-d idea again, was getting kinda turned off with havin to deal with all the mess I was...

My question is this, after a week of settleing and we wind up with more crud than oil do we not use the oil we've got? I was thinking I could final filter it and just dump it into my tanks and do a b-20 solution kinda thing with it. Thoughts?

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
If you are getting oil at 14 leave it alone it will only convert with KOH and take to much of it to make it worth while also you will have to crank up the methanol. Oil any more than 5 is horrable. It should be done converting in a bout an hour if not you are wasting your time.

sagebel

Reaction score
I'll second that. 14 is absolute chit! I have been having a hard time find places with less than a titration of 6. I will not anything over 4. My one source is providing me with anything between 2 and 3. I usually just take a mason jar to potential sources and they give me a sample when they empty their fryer. Don't waste your time hauling that stuff home.

Scott

bct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isnt thier some sort of health issue with cooking with oil thats that burnt up? How do I talk an outfit into changing more often?

and you guys are useing lye or koh for your titrations?

sagebel

Reaction score
I'm using KOH. I just asked them how much more it would cost them for the rendering service to pick it up vice me picking it up and them changing their oil more frequently.

Scott

bct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not having luck with haveing them drop thier contract for me. The small time bars n stuff seem much more easy going. A few places are going to let me pump out of thier dumpsters though. I think Darling is who they have thier service with (most everyone in town) and I think the sales rep gave them all the same I"LL REPORT YOU TO THE EPA speach. :mad:

sagebel

Reaction score
Darling is up here too. I noticed that when I picked up on Saturday that their dumpster was gone. The bar and grill canceled their service 4 months ago. I look at it this way: If I can LEGALLY haul a 55 gallon drum of methanol in the back of my truck, than there is no problem hauling 55 gallons of vegetable oil. If I had the time, I would research the laws and rules that they would be "reporting" to the EPA so that I could throw it back at them. Luckily, I am not in that situation.

Scott

bct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could care less about what darling says thier going to do, the problem is the bizness owner is who they say thier going to report. I do have permition from the bizness owners to pull whatever I want off the top, they will just refuse knowledge of it....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radeon1314

Members online