Waterpump questions.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I got called out for a service call at 4am this morning so I didn't have a chance to take a visual of the water pump on the F250 before I left and I have 3 questions that might save me some aggravation tonight.;Sweet

1:) I bought a new pump this morning, do I need anything more than a pump, gasket and sealer???....Do I need to pull my t-stat housing or anything else to get it off? If I do what is it that needs to be removed?

2:) What size is the fan nut that holds in to the water pump?

3:) what size are the rad clamps for the heater hoses? 5/8 or 3/4?

LA350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1 5/8ths? I think. I am doing the same repair as we speak. I went to AutoZone to rent/borrow the loaner set of Fan Clutch Wrenches. There is a Crowsfoot wrench that will fit over the bolts and then the spanner wrench will turn the nut.

I pulled the radiator to give more room to work and to keep it from getting messed up, that is the only thing that has to go except the belt.

My problem lies in the fact that the loaner set had a bent spanner and wound up rounding the nut. So I bought a set from Harbor Freight for 40 bucks w/ shipping this AM. We spent the better part of Sat morning trying to get that ******* off. I tried a chain whip too but the area is too tight to get a good grip on the nut w/ the chain.

If anyone has any tip I'd appreciated it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Remember the fan nut is left hand threads... I use some Blue Loctite on the nut threads. You don't want that fan breaking loose when the motor shuts down. These motors stop turning very fast with the high compression we have. Remember the 2 top bolts are differant and must go back in the same location. The fan, clutch and shroud will come out as a set easy.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I was going to loctite it for safety's sake. I have a fan wrench set here at work to borrow....The rad isn't coming out unless it has too. I have torches to help with getting it off if needed. As long as I don't need any other gaskets other than the pump gasket I'm good to go. I have a IH factory manual for a 7.3 IDI, it shows what lengths of bolt to put in which holes. Thanks for the quick replies.;Sweet

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On mine, I think I had to unbolt the PS pump or A/C compressor bracket and swing it out of the way to get the pump out. It was still only a 2 hour job.
Heater hoses are 5/8", no other gaskets required. I personally use a big crescent and a hammer to get the fan off, works just fine... I've done it with a cold chisel before too... LOL

LA350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmmmm. I need to look for a BFW then :)

My A/c Pump is off already, running by-pass pulley.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I brought home the fan wrench set - useless as they spread too easy.... I also brought home the wrong size wrench...LOL....Pipe wrench it is - I just have to grind it down a little first as it's 2 thick....Off to a good start eh?....:rolleyes: ...And the A/C in our 02 Windstar is still not right, down 1/2 the charge weight so I charge it up(held 150psi of nitro for 1/2 hr) but now that it's fully charged I think the evaporator is freezing up because it was in the low 40's and then started blowing warm all of a sudden.....Still have tons of pressure in the system-cuss

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
On mine when I was rebuilding the engine on the stand, I wound up with massive leaks between the water pump and the plate when I tested it for pressure on the stand. those old intermediate plates can get some pretty serious pitting in them. . What I ended up doing on round 2 and will do from now on on these beasts, despite my hatred of siliscum, was took a tube of ultra gray permatex and basically puttied in the plate with it to get a level surface first, then coated the gaskets with it as per the manual. It was on there pretty thick when it was all said and done, but no leaks ;Sweet

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this is a dumb question and somewhat rated..but if i had ac on the truck..and i took the pump off..do i need an bypass pulley? if so why?

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Fixed.;Sweet ....Took me about an hour to get the fan off...Took some heat and a BFH but I managed to get it off without any damage. It went pretty well other than that, no broken bolts or anything. The mid plate was in good shape, a little Ultra Grey Permatex on booth sides of the gasket and it was on. A healthy dose of loctite for Mr fan, topped it up and took it for a rip, no leaks and no noises.:Thumbs Up ...It will be tested tommorow, 2000L of water to haul again...I used up the water I brought home over the weekend so I had to water the lawn from Sophie's swimming pool..:dunno :rotflmao ...If I don't get that filled back up by tommorow I'll be dead meat.:eek: :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance