Waterpump question

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
I know it is fairly simple to do, but I want to give you guys the symptoms I have been experiencing to make 100% sure it is the problem.

Alright, I know the sound of my noisy throw out bearing (my hands are too fat to grease the thing). But this new sound is VERY apparent in the colder temps.

This morning when I got the truck going, I stopped for a stop light and heard a sound similar to that of a jingling set of keys. I did hear this once before, but now it is becoming more and more pronounced. No, it isn't the keys in the ignition LOL. The sound is definitely coming from in front of the motor.

One other "interesting sound" I heard was the typical screeching from the front of the block once or twice during the summer. Definitely the water pump.

Now the biggest question. Everything was working fine until I pulled the plug on the top of the pump and installed my aftermarket temp sensor. Could this be the culprit that brought about the doom of my pump? I even tested the depth before the install and it seemed to have plenty of room...cookoo

Thoughts?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The probe can't reach the impeller. You are in a differant passage than where the impeller is. The screeching could be a loose belt. Just after startup the alternater is asked to build up the batteries again. That belt could be slipping. Check it or use some belt grip on it. Shake the water pump shaft to see if its loose. Try these ideas before you start replacing parts...

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Thanks for the fast reply, icanfixall.

I didn't know that I was in an entirely different passage. Whew, I was a bit worried there that I had screwed it up.
At first I did think the screech was just some of the antifreeze that leaked onto the belts. But, the sound came and went a month apart. It wasn't just a loud squeak either...it was an ear shattering screech. I mean, my ears were ringing when I opened the hood to investigate.

I have yet to test the pump shaft to see if it is loose...I'll give that a try before I go investing in parts. Good thing I decided to ask here, I forgot all about that!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My bet is the alternater belt is loose or worn down into the pulley groove.. Your posting saying this noise happens right after the motor starts. Thats when the alternater is working the hardest trying replentish the batteries from the starter draw. When you hear this noise does the engine take longer to start... Is the starter being used more in cranking the motor. Spray some belt grip on the alternater belt... See if that helps... If it does then you made a temp fix... Probably time to replace that belt... Sorry because its the last belt to be removed too... These belts don't last as long as they should. Always spend some money on the alternater belt.... Its the first belt to break and all the others need to be removed just to get at this one...:sly

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
My bet is the alternater belt is loose or worn down into the pulley groove.. Your posting saying this noise happens right after the motor starts. Thats when the alternater is working the hardest trying replentish the batteries from the starter draw. When you hear this noise does the engine take longer to start... Is the starter being used more in cranking the motor. Spray some belt grip on the alternater belt... See if that helps... If it does then you made a temp fix... Probably time to replace that belt... Sorry because its the last belt to be removed too... These belts don't last as long as they should. Always spend some money on the alternater belt.... Its the first belt to break and all the others need to be removed just to get at this one...:sly

Ya know, I haven't replaced that alternator belt since I bought the truck. Everyone else was pointing to the water pump but the alternator belt sounds a bit more plausible now that I think about it. I love this site! :hail

As far as taking longer to start, not especially...but this all happened before both my batteries went bad. Ever since I replaced them, I haven't had that screeching noise return. Might as well replace that sucker anyway though.

Oh and as far as the jingling sound...I'm gonna be pissed it is some pocket change stuffed somewhere. Dad suggested that one. :rotflmao

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy old thread Batman.LOL Well, Dave, what was the problem? The belt or something else?

Heath

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online