Water pump thread size and coolant filter question...

kpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the picture below, do you know the thread size of that plug that's in the circle on the picture?
I need to replace the thermostat and while dropping the coolant too i was thinking of installing the coolant filter i've had lying around. My thought was to remove that plug from the water pump and attach a hose to it that goes to coolant filter. But my big question is that, if i take the coolant from that water pump plug, then which hose do i attach the other end of the filter? Do i put a T-coupling to the hose that goes to heater core or to a hose that comes from heater core? I've tried to search is that plug on the water pump meant to be an outlet or inlet, but didn't find any answers. I know the hose next to that plug comes from heater core. I don't want to install the filter inline to the hose to heater core in case filter gets clogged, so i thought this would be the best choice...

Thanks in advance!

You must be registered for see images

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
plug is 1/2" NPT. I believe the proper way to install a coolant filter is as a bypass filter, so it wont block coolant to heater. Do a search, there was a coolant filter discussion just last week. Agnem explained that the water pump was the suction side or return side, and the heater hose from the head was the pressure side or input to filter. There is a write up in the technical articles describing an installation. As a bypass, you will "T" into both heater hoses, with the filter as one route and the heater core as the other.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The above posting is correct in both points. Usually the lines to and from the heater are teed into for the bypass plumbing setup. Then the heater stills recieves all the hot water from the passenger side head. That hose going back into the water pump from the heater is drawn back into the pump where the plug id under pressure from the pump impeller pushing coolany back into the engine. That plug is also a cooled coolant part of the system as that water has been drawn thru the radiater and is not going back into the engine.

kpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, so i will install it teed to the heater core hoses. Nice write up on tech articles, for some reason it didn't caught my eyes when i browsed there...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle