Water Pump Pulley

FordCoalRoller

IDI Probbie
Reaction score
Good morning fellow oil burners. I have been having an issue with my 92 F-350 that i know the cause but not the cure. Since I purchased the truck the belt has always squeaked on it and ran off track. So one day i decided I would change the belt, idler and tensioner pulleys. After doing that I would say within 50 miles I had completely shreaded my brand new belt-cuss. I put another older belt on seeing as I was stuck on the road and continued on. Shortly down the rode I tore most of that belt up as well(I did have 4 ribs left) so i ran that belt to my father-in-laws farm. Get a straight edge up against the pulleys and found that the water pump pulley sets about 1/8 inch deeper than all the other pulleys explaining my belt frying situation. So all other pulleys except for the water pump are right in line. My question I guess is say someone down the 20 year life span of my truck had changed the water pump(likely) is there a spacer of sorts that goes between that waterpump and the pulley and could they have neglected to put it back in its proper position. Sorry about the long story and thats for the help. O by the way she is still running on a 4 rib belt I would just really love to fix it right!LOL

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I believe you are missing the stamped steel spacing ring that sits behind that pulley. I've got V belts and have removed to different V belt setups and BOTH had those thing metal shims.

I'd suggest going to a wrecker or seeing if members here have a ring to send you....have fun removing that thar clutch btw...it's a booger for sure...

Al

FordCoalRoller

IDI Probbie
Reaction score
We do have a local pull-a-part i might have to go on a hunt. And thanks for the help I am not looking forward to pulling the fan off.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just make sure you do a search and get the right fan wrench (I really like the crows foot, I believe its 1 7/8" or 48 mm) and remember that it's left hand threaded.

Good luck, sounds like you are on the right track ;Sweet

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
It does sound like you found the problem. I don't think the spacers on the V belts are any differant from the spacers found on the serpentine belt systems. So most any idi engine will be what you harvest the spacer from. Also we have a member that needs a water pump pulley for his serpentine belt water pump on his truck so if you find that ask around. We do like to help others.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you don't locate one let me know I think I may have a spare....

If you locate a serp pulley for WP let me know...rofl...Not a big deal..kinda hard to find that in my neck of woods though .....Ugh!....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online