Water pump help

Psalm119

Reaction score
Out of the 4 center bolts (for my water pump )that go into the oil chamber-my bottom left bolt doesnt screw in all the way. I has about one or a little bit more of a washer lenth left and keeps acting like its stripped?? could i have the wrong bolt in there? Are the 4 center bolts different than the rest of the bolts of the water pump? I need to get this fixed soon, someone please help

Sent from my LGLK430 using Tapatalk

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh crap. Well the 4 center bolts (2 upper & 2 lower on the water pump screw into the gear cover. The cover has nuts welded on the backs of them and sometimes they can strip out or spot welds can come loose. If it just keeps turning, the nut might be stripped out.
Try cleaning threads with a bottoming tap first. Dab a little grease on the end of tap to catch metal material.
If that doesn't work, you will have to take water pump off & drill out the hole (next size up) and tap new threads in it. I have done this. Again, put grease on drill bit & tap to prevent metal shavings from going down into the oil pan.

Psalm119

Reaction score
Dang, oh man. Ok so i need to do some drilling then. Thank you for the reply.

Psalm119

Reaction score
Oh crap. Well the 4 center bolts (2 upper & 2 lower on the water pump screw into the gear cover. The cover has nuts welded on the backs of them and sometimes they can strip out or spot welds can come loose. If it just keeps turning, the nut might be stripped out.
Try cleaning threads with a bottoming tap first. Dab a little grease on the end of tap to catch metal material.
If that doesn't work, you will have to take water pump off & drill out the hole (next size up) and tap new threads in it. I have done this. Again, put grease on drill bit & tap to prevent metal shavings from going down into the oil pan.
But wait, if the nuts -if they are spot welded nuts, and the one broke off. Then wouldn't i have to fish it out of there before i go drilling a new hole to fit a bolt that will tighten down?

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It probably did not break off. I bet it's stripped. I would pull the water pump off and you can get a better look see.
You will be able to see the nut threads behind the gear cover once it's off.

Psalm119

Reaction score
It probably did not break off. I bet it's stripped. I would pull the water pump off and you can get a better look see.
You will be able to see the nut threads behind the gear cover once it's off.
Ok, ill check it out after work tomorrow. Thank you

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
where in the "US" are you at? I can send a timing cover that's in good shape if you want to change it out completely.

Psalm119

Reaction score
where in the "US" are you at? I can send a timing cover that's in good shape if you want to change it out completely.
I am in reno nv right now, for about 2 more weeks

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pics

You must be registered for see images attach