water/**** injection?

JourneymanD

Reaction score
hey guys, thanks for all that helped w/ my broke down truck 650 miles from home. it was a bad injection pump.

I still saw some high EGT's on my unloaded backhaul, though it never got into the red coming back... just up to it.

How effective is water/**** at reducing EGT an a NA 7.3L, and what is the best actuation method? just a plain toggle when needed, or throttle mounted switch? i never got the pedal to the floor coming back before i let up to drop temps going upgrade, so i don't know if throttle actuation would be worthwhile.

Any comments would be appreciated. if it would make a big difference, i will shell out the $$ to do it. if not, i will load it light and limp it back to Idaho where it will sit til i sell it, burn it, or CTD it. haven't decided which yet.

I have enough $$ into it i think I will have to declare it the Family Mosoleum and have us all buried together in it.

thanks again,

Dylan

FordGuy100

Reaction score
The only problem with water/**** injection that I see is that the tank will run empty fairly quick.

The kits come with a some sort of switch that activates at a certain boost pressure if I remember right. I dont see why you couldnt just put it on a toggle, that would be fine. Throttle activiated would be alright, but like you said sometimes you arent WOT and you need to reduce EGT's, so I think a simple toggle switch would work the best for your application.

Also, have you thought about rigging up some sort of intake for it? I dont know how much room us under the hood of one of those things, but you might want to go to Home Depot and get some heater duct tubing, and try to route some fresh cold air into the intake. Also, you could go to a muffler shop and have them put in a glasspack, that would be cheap, and it would probably cut down the EGT's some.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to revisit this idea again on my NA engine, so as to bring down EGT's and try to reduce some of the injector coking. I remember a guy posting once on another board, who had done it with his NA. I don't remember the outcome and I don't think he stuck around. Basically, your only going to want the water on under heavy throttle. Some have gone with a limit switch attached to the IP throttle arm.