Water in Fuel

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Wife just let me know that the WIF light came on in the pickup. She had just filled up and drove to get some food for the road at Big Boy. While in the drive threw she noticed the WIF light come on. Being a well trained driver (I gave her a thorough briefing before I left). Not real happy about this right now.

My father in law went to try to help her drain the water but the 6mm allen wrench wouldn't budge. Since my FIL didnt want to break something on my pickup he had it towed to the Mandan, ND Ford dealer who is doing ALL of my maintenance while I am gone.

Just curious if you guys know if there is a right way to go about dealing with the gas station if anything arises?

I am hoping that this turns into a deal were the Ford guys drain the water and its fine. If not I just want to get advice from people who may have had this happen before.

Sucks being thousands of miles away and not able to assist.....

Thanks
Thad

Last edited:

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
The fuel station just told my wife that they tested their fuel (my wife actually saw them pumping fuel into a 5 gallon jug as she was heading back home) and that their fuel tested fine.

I think I am going to order the upgraded drain plug: Ford Part 6E7Z-9C082-A

Should make draining the water easier!

Thad

Last edited:

bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes the issue w/ a frequent WIF light is corrosion and or sludge build up in the HFCM cover plate. It can be cleaned sometimes, other times it is bad enough it needs to be replaced.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Well, the shop couldn't get the cover plate off and just installed a whole new part. No issues with wiater in fuel since. I had them give my wife the part for me to see when I get home.

Also, they found several other thigns wrong with the rig while it was there. Might have been for the best.

Thad

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Pretty certain that this was due to low fuel quantity and high temperature variations causing condensation in the fuel tank.

Thad