wastegated or non-wastegated

pdfhick69

Patrick.free
Reaction score
im getting ready to buy and install a turbo on my 91 5-spd and would like some input on what turbo and any info i can get :thanks:

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for performance you would want to go wastegated. For reliability a non-wastegated turbo is the bees knees. If you use you truck for towing and hauling then the non-wasted turbo option will be great. the wastegated turbo will let you get into the higher boost range without the load on the engine.

I'd go with the wastegate, but i don't use my truck for much other than commuting.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd go wastegate myself. I want my power to come on without having to wind the **** out of it. Wastegated housings are smaller and spool faster, thus needing a wastegate to keep them from over-boosting. Thought I'd throw that in if you didn't know.
Travis..

Logroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Banks Sidewinder Waste gated turbo system is the way to go ,, i have one on my 93 f350 7.3idi and love it even on the hauling and commuting ends

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I swapped my non-gated banks for a gated unit. A It is funner to drive empty and works much better towing. Felt like the gains of going from naturally aspirated to the non-gated turbo.

pdfhick69

Patrick.free
Reaction score
I mostly use it for towing and hauling fairly good sized loads. It does get afai amount of comutting miles to. I'm leaning towards wastegated