Waste Home heating Oil

Reaction score
I know someone who is having there house oil burner tank replaced. it has about 100 gal of waste home heating oil.

What is the legality of running this in our trucks? Ive never seen anyone stopped for a fuel check here, but if it were to happen would I be ok?
I also have some used motor oil...same question, thanks

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure if it is fuel oil that hasn't had the highway tax paid then it is technically illegal. If they can get you or not depends on how determined your revenuers are and if the non taxed fuel is chemically marked to show that it is non taxed. I'd think burning the wmo especially with some diesel isn't going to get you into any trouble. Here in Florida if you do this you're required to have a blender's license and pay tax on the untaxed fuel portion(wmo, hho, whatever). On the whole, I would not run it if shorting the tax man bothers your conscience or if it is dyed or chemically marked, if it is not marked then it is solely a matter of conscience. I'd not even worry about the wmo assuming it's in small amounts. It's a "fuel additive" right?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
lots of threads on running home heating oil, its not worth it.

WMO, lots of threads on that to. if it is filtered you probubly wont even notice a couple of gallons added in a tankfull.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Give'r, just keep a couple quarts of ATF in the truck at all times as "fuel additive"....I've burn't lots of furnace oil, works fine.

Reaction score
I just got a bunch of WMO from a friend....I think its smart that I just stick with that if I will be driving ON road....

Last edited:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HHO is dyed sometimes and not other times, sometimes it is taxed and sometimes it isn't. We don't use a lot of it down here like you do up north, mostly just a smidge for Kerosene space heaters. The guys are right though a DOT or state revenue agent can have the stuff chemically tested for the presence of the dye. The bad new is that can last for several tanks beyond the tank you already may or may not be burning.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
They don't check tanks here...I've never heard of it being done to anyone....You really have to screw up or get caught for something else tax related before they would go that deep on the east coast of Canuckland. I used to get my dyed furnace from work, we used it to fill fuel filters during services before the new regen gear/laws came out.....I always claimed the wasted fuel in the drippin's barrel.:D:rotflmao....I miss that free fuel when your broke.:rolleyes:

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make up a fake log of times and places that you go off road with odometer readings. Keep this log in your glove box. Only put your mix in 1 tank and road diesel in the other. The red dye may still show up in the tank even after the black oil is gone. The logic is you can run off road diesel or dyed heating oil as long as it's not on a public street or highway. The log shows proff of useage which makes it almost impossible for you to get convicted of illegal useage. If you think you're gonna get pulled over switch to the road diesel tank before the lights come on so you can purge the lines. Keep puttling entries in the log as if it were a diary. an "off road use only" sticker on the inside of the fuel door will help too.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That doesn't fly here either, if it has plates, it's considered an on road vehicle and has to have clear in it. I've only ever been dipped once, but, having worked for a fuel supplier and knowing lots of loggers, I know the ins and outs of it here.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on your location. I've got pulled over in the middle of nowhere with the Dodge, but have never been bothered with the 6.9, mind you it is registered as a gas, 2wd 81 F100... LOL

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would run a couple gal per tank till its gone and call it an additive, but...

A few years ago a couple people here got tickets for off road. ODOT or whoever checks for it actually dippedd a few trucks at a farm auction and left tickets in the window:eek:

Good move, I think by the reaction of the person I knew that got ticketed it would probably have been dangerous for the officer to hang around after that.

rjglenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good move, I think by the reaction of the person I knew that got ticketed it would probably have been dangerous for the officer to hang around after that.

Great idea, create more trouble for themselves after getting caught knowingly breaking the law. It's like the thugs & gang bangers showing out when they get arrested for shooting someone or selling drugs...

Yes, you can burn the waste oil or waste whatever. If you get caught, you will be fined and you can expect that the IRS will come calling to look into all your financial records. Getting dipped and having them find dye will put you on the Feds radar. If you are going to break the law, you have to be smart about what you do and when you do it and be graceful if you get caught. The folks who are doing this are human and if you are a jerk, chances are they will be too.

I can't imagine getting pulled over just so the FDOT can dip my tank, but when I go places where diesel trucks owned by people who use off-road diesel gather (equipment auctions, cattle market, agri-suppliers, etc.) I expect to get dipped. It hasn't happen yet, but it will - its only a matter of time. I do burn WMO with some regularity, but when I go to the above mentioned places I'm usually towing something & I don't like to burn WMO when I'm towing. The last thing I need is to be hauling cows in August and have to stop on the side of the road to change a fuel filter or replace a lift pump.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is why I wouldn't want to advise burning dyed fuel. The last thing I want is to be on the Federal Government's radar as a trouble maker. Nails that stick out get hammered down and so forth. Also I think the fuel taxes are excessive but if you use the public roads you should pay something for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online