Waste gate

Militaryman445

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lets get some info, all you guys that know alot about these stock/ats turbos and the waste gates that are on them allow me to pick your brain. I mainly wanna know how to adjust the waste gate and what the safe tolerances are for getting a little fine tuning done.

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't touched one on a factory turbo, but its basically the same as any other. To make it blow at higher pressure, you shorten the rod length by threading in the bottom piece tighter. The jam nut might be tough to loosen but after that, its not much trouble(as long as you have a vise).

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, you shorten the rod between the wastegate diaphram (tuna can thing) and the actualy gate accuator on the turbine. A shorter rod means it opens at higher boost pressure. There is only so much adjustment with this. If you can't get what you want by adjusting the rod, you could disable the wastegate and drive by the boost gauge/pyro.

Heath

Militaryman445

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, you shorten the rod between the wastegate diaphram (tuna can thing) and the actualy gate accuator on the turbine. A shorter rod means it opens at higher boost pressure. There is only so much adjustment with this. If you can't get what you want by adjusting the rod, you could disable the wastegate and drive by the boost gauge/pyro.

Heath

Wouldnt it be pretty hard to do that with an auto tranny? And how would you "drive" by the boost gauge and pyro?

Militaryman445

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't touched one on a factory turbo, but its basically the same as any other. To make it blow at higher pressure, you shorten the rod length by threading in the bottom piece tighter. The jam nut might be tough to loosen but after that, its not much trouble(as long as you have a vise).

I get what you're saying on how to adjust it but why would you need a vise? couldnt you do it on the truck?

Militaryman445

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Manual or auto, it's the same. If your boost or EGT's get too high for your comfort, let off the skinny pedal.:D;Sweet

Heath

Oh ok, Gotcha. Im not going to remove the waste gate all together though, that just sounds like daring myself to push it too hard.

So If I want to get just a little more boost I just shorten the rod by turning the nut and seeing how she does?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes... You can adjust the rod on the turbo but sometimes its easier to remove it to make adjustments. You must have a boost gauge and a pyro before you do this so you know whats going on in the engine. Anything more than around 14 or 15 lbs of boost is generally waste because the boost going into the engine is well over 300 begrees. That just preheats the air too much. Installing an intercooler wil drop all that intake heat so 15 is useable. Be aware that higher boost puts more strain on the head gaskets too...:sly

Militaryman445

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes... You can adjust the rod on the turbo but sometimes its easier to remove it to make adjustments. You must have a boost gauge and a pyro before you do this so you know whats going on in the engine. Anything more than around 14 or 15 lbs of boost is generally waste because the boost going into the engine is well over 300 begrees. That just preheats the air too much. Installing an intercooler wil drop all that intake heat so 15 is useable. Be aware that higher boost puts more strain on the head gaskets too...:sly

So since I just recently bought this truck and dont exactly know all that could be wrong with it other then what I have found out over the past few weeks I probably shouldnt turn up the boost with this being my dd huh...

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you dont have gauge, its a risk i wouldnt take. You have to remove it to adjust.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
If you ain't got the $$ to put a top end in her, and put it in with STUDS and not factory bolts, I would leave it alone!!!

Now with THAT said, I am going to go to TOWN on the engine I am picking up Sunday....I am going to build it as redneck blow up proof as I CAN and take it one day at a time within spec...

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
It could be stuck. Twisting too ******* the truck could cause it to twist off....then you are screwed without a welder.

Take it off, put it in the vice, apply heat and loosen it up if it sticks. If it tuns on the truck, just adjust it on the truck.

Hopefully it is easier for you and isn't stuck so you can adjust it on the truck.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I can get a gauge, thats not a problem. But why do you say you have to take it off to adjust it?

I don't have a factory turbo, but on my Banks turbos, you can easily adjust the wastegate rod with it on the truck. I've done it several times, until I said screw it and just disabled it.:D

Heath

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have a factory turbo, but on my Banks turbos, you can easily adjust the wastegate rod with it on the truck. I've done it several times, until I said screw it and just disabled it.:D

Heath

Me too, we are spoiled with banks.:D

Some of the factory wastegates were crimped so you couldn't turn it. I hope that isn't the case with yours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger