Was there ever....

Sledgehammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A factory diesel option of any kind on Ford light duty trucks in the 70's? I didn't think so but someone questioned me about there being possible dealer detroit or perkins re-powers. I don't know but I'm sure someone here does. Thanks.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
No, not that I am aware of..... they may have been aftermarket conversions, but not from "Detroit"

The first year that Ford offered a diesel off the assembly line was 1983

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I too have heard rumors of a Perkins in the 70's. As much as I like the dent sides, figures I would have ran across one. Heck, I can't even find any info about it. I do believe Dodge did a couple of Perkins trucks though.:dunno

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dodge did a non turbo Mitsu engine in the 70's, other than that and the Nissan powered IH Scout, I'm not aware of any factory installations in the 70's. There are some interesting repowers out there though. The fellow I bought my 96 F350 from had a 76 F100 with a Mercedes OM 621 from a 60's 200D. 55hp... awww yeah... Said it got nearly 50 mpg though.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen several 70s vintage Fords with Perkins diesels in them. When I was in school one of the kids would drive the families farm truck in and it had a 4 cylinder Perkins in it. I've seen 5 other from that vintages with perkins engines in them.