Want to boost Motorhome pulling power.

Pa Pa Jack

Reaction score
I have a 1994 Fleetwood Bounder motorhome. It has a 12v 5.5L rated at 190HP and 475ft/lbs of torque. I would like to boost the power to tow a Ranger PU. The hills and mountains of TN and KY take it's toll. What do you boys recommend? I am installing a set of gauges this weekend to monitor the motor.

rubberfish

Reaction score
For towing I'd recommend in this order.
Gauges, air in-take, exhaust and a #10 plate.
You should see quite a difference with this.
And welcome to the site. Enjoy your visit. :)

megaram

Megaram
Reaction score
Improvement?

I do not think the 10 plate would be a good choice. Unless you want to do the transmission. Try just moving the plate you have forward. Increase air flow in and out. See if that is enough.:cool

doshow

Reaction score
Hey Jack, I have the same motorhome and will share what I did. I switched out the injectors with a set from Red Oak Diesel/Stan's the owner. I also added his torque plate to complement the injectors. I further blocked off the sensor line from the turbo to keep the waste-gate from opening. This took my boost from 20 to 30 lbs. With all this I went from 190 hp to 350, and the torque is awesome. From 475 to 750 ft. lbs. I did loose a bit of fuel milage; 9.5 to 8.5 MPG. But my ability to tow and climb is so much better.

My next venture will be advancing the fuel timing from stock 11 to 15 deg. This will up my fuel milage a bit without sacrificing power.

When driving the motorhome around town empty, you cannot believe how it accellerates! Once I'm in second the motorhome pulls strong!

About the transmission, I'm convenced your Allison is one if not the best automatics available for this application. About the torque plate, I did try to move the torque plate, wasn't enough gain for me. About the air inlet, if you have a wire mesh in the inlet, remove it. The filter is fine on these motorhomes e.g. 8" inlet, 25" long filter with lots of available surface area.

The exhaust is not bad on these either, pipe is 4" and 4' long and has a wide u-bend with a 12" radius. I did replace the muffler with a free-flowing one. No baffles just a 2' straight-thru muffler. Nice and quiet thanks to the turbo.

Have fun and good luck!

Pa Pa Jack

Reaction score
Hey Jack, I have the same motorhome and will share what I did. I switched out the injectors with a set from Red Oak Diesel/Stan's the owner. I also added his torque plate to complement the injectors. I further blocked off the sensor line from the turbo to keep the waste-gate from opening. This took my boost from 20 to 30 lbs. With all this I went from 190 hp to 350, and the torque is awesome. From 475 to 750 ft. lbs. I did loose a bit of fuel milage; 9.5 to 8.5 MPG. But my ability to tow and climb is so much better.

My next venture will be advancing the fuel timing from stock 11 to 15 deg. This will up my fuel milage a bit without sacrificing power.

When driving the motorhome around town empty, you cannot believe how it accellerates! Once I'm in second the motorhome pulls strong!

About the transmission, I'm convenced your Allison is one if not the best automatics available for this application. About the torque plate, I did try to move the torque plate, wasn't enough gain for me. About the air inlet, if you have a wire mesh in the inlet, remove it. The filter is fine on these motorhomes e.g. 8" inlet, 25" long filter with lots of available surface area.

The exhaust is not bad on these either, pipe is 4" and 4' long and has a wide u-bend with a 12" radius. I did replace the muffler with a free-flowing one. No baffles just a 2' straight-thru muffler. Nice and quiet thanks to the turbo.

Have fun and good luck!
What size injectors did you go to? Your specs sound fantastic. I would like to duplicate them.

Jack

doshow

Reaction score
Jack,

I got the injectors from Stan who owns Red Oak Diesel in Iowa 712-623-2221. Give him a call and tell him you and I have the same Motorhome and he'll walk you through the details. Stan's a good diesel mechanic and honest. He'll take the time with you and walk you through every step. Tell'm Dave in Arizona sent you his way. About the injector specs, Stan won’t tell me. His secret is his alone. I did hear that he did or does supply Bully Dogs theirs for the 12 valve. I also found out that he's considered one of the best Bosch guy in the states. That's who makes our pump and injectors. Good luck and keep me up on your development! It's fun tuning these diesels in. I love my Cummins!