VSS WIRING?

Bako IDI

Reaction score
so I know there is a billion threads on the vss for our trucks, but I cant seam to find one that answers my question, so I apologize in advance for making ANOTHER thread for it...

(explanation)
so when I bought my truck for some reason the PO had cut the wires to the vss on the rear diff, like clean cut with scissors.. so I crimped them back together (I am not electrically incline AT ALL) and it was fine for awhile, occasionally they would wiggle loose and id just re-crimp them.. about a month ago we were visiting family out of town (a few miles down dirt roads in the mountains, crossing springs and what not) and tranny went into limp mode.. I tried re-crimping them a dozen times and I finally just limped it home.. I am going to go get a new VSS today, but I'm wanting to replace the wires too because its just kind of janky...

(question)
NOW my question isss..... I have zero knowledge about electrical stuff, what type or size of wiring would I need to use? where would I buy it? can I just use two same size wires and run that or is there a certain type of wire, copper etc.? ALSO if anyone has the part # for the vss threw autozone or 0'reileys that would be very much appreciated! thanks guys!

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need some one to solder the wire connections. This will provide continuous electricity flow the the VSS. What is happening is the wire connections become loose and become intermittent and that screws up your tranny. Solder and use heat shrink tubing on them to keep out water and other things.

unclehoser

Old dog, new tricks
Reaction score
You need some one to solder the wire connections. This will provide continuous electricity flow the the VSS. What is happening is the wire connections become loose and become intermittent and that screws up your tranny. Solder and use heat shrink tubing on them to keep out water and other things.

Agreed, 100%! Mechanical connection is first (wires twisted together tightly), soldering the connection is next, and crucial to insure proper conductivity from point to point. Shrink tubing is a great insulator, and will isolate your connections from the elements. A layer of GOOD electrical tape and a final heat-shrink sheath over the entire splice pack will keep you happy for a long time! "Squeeze-on" splice terminals are OK for trailer lights and such, but I don't trust them for critical connections.

Good luck...electrical problems SUCK!!!
Dave

Bako IDI

Reaction score
Agreed, 100%! Mechanical connection is first (wires twisted together tightly), soldering the connection is next, and crucial to insure proper conductivity from point to point. Shrink tubing is a great insulator, and will isolate your connections from the elements. A layer of GOOD electrical tape and a final heat-shrink sheath over the entire splice pack will keep you happy for a long time! "Squeeze-on" splice terminals are OK for trailer lights and such, but I don't trust them for critical connections.

Good luck...electrical problems SUCK!!!
Dave

awesome thank you guys!! ill try that before I throw a new vss at it.. I know I should read the codes but my ford dealership is too far to limp it there. you guys wouldn't happen to have a part # for the vss would you? I seen it on one of these threads but ive looked everywhere and cant find it again.

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can look it up any of the parts store websites. They have both the sensor and a new connector

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
I think this is the one you want. STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS SC84

THINK is key word. Thats me using Rockauto. I can tell you its NOT SC210, even tho it looks just like the VSS I took out of my rear axle, it doesnt fit. Trust me, I know! lol

I just cleaned mine up, and put it back in. Its been working fine, but please let me know what part you find, as I too would like to have a spare

BWD - Vehicle Speed Sensor
Line: BWD | Part # S8319

O'reilly part^^^^

Last edited:

93banksidi

Reaction score
I suggest getting the wire connector through oreilly(or other parts house) and sourcing a stock vss from a junkyard. Motocraft and part house vss's are now plastic where the originals are metal. When I tried the plastic, my speedo was extremely erratic and locked the trans into limp mode just after rebuild.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

loloc

Reaction score
Pull all of the fuses from the box under the hood. The trans and the sensors are 5 volt, on mine when the trans stayed in limp mode it was because the short had caused one of those large size fuses to go. All of the 5 volt stuff was in the same circuit so a short means no juice to all areas. If you fix the fuse and put your crimp back together, you may be O.K. for a run to the dealer.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The VSS rarely fail.Yours is probably fine.Back when I first got chip truck going,I had my dump bed hoist come down and pinch my wires off,to the vss.I just crimped and heat shrinked them back together and it's been fine for 7 years so far.

When you need to replace a VSS ask the parts guy for an ABS sensor and his computer will work for him and he'll hand ya the right part.;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online