Very bad driveshaft center support carrier bearing

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Being on the road, I can't very well do this job myself. It's going to a shop tomorrow morning. It has been noisy for a while now but it's really bad now. It can't wait any more.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the rubber part can be had as long as the metal bearing is still good. An honest parts house can order it in. where are you down? if you have tools, the rubber is not hard to change out.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two things:

1. Fill out your signature so people know where your truck is most likely located when it’s “at home”

2. I would consider replacing the ujoints while you have somebody removing the driveshaft. Nothing less fun than buying the labor twice if you have a questionable ujoint fail after your center support bearing is replaced.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And now for the rednecker solution.... Unbolt it, move it out of the way and wrap the bearing with electrical tape till it fits tight in whats left of the rubber. Then fix it when you get home.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
And now for the rednecker solution.... Unbolt it, move it out of the way and wrap the bearing with electrical tape till it fits tight in whats left of the rubber. Then fix it when you get home.

I doubt that would hold up 1000 miles.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
the rubber part can be had as long as the metal bearing is still good. An honest parts house can order it in. where are you down? if you have tools, the rubber is not hard to change out.

I’m in Fort Collins, CO right now. May as well have the whole piece replaced if I’m paying labor.

The shop I’m going to use was recommended to me by a drivetrain parts shop here. I figured they would know who’s good for something like this.

If I thought it could wait another 1000 miles, I’d do it myself when I get back to Arkansas but I don’t think it well. It’s now loudly thumping at times at lower speeds and taking off from stops. (70 miles more after that video). It wasn’t as of the video.

Ujoints? Well I greased then all just a few days ago. I don’t see any play with them. Depending on how much more it is I might have them replace them too.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Two things:

1. Fill out your signature so people know where your truck is most likely located when it’s “at home”

2. I would consider replacing the ujoints while you have somebody removing the driveshaft. Nothing less fun than buying the labor twice if you have a questionable ujoint fail after your center support bearing is replaced.

1: I have a home base in Arkansas but I haven’t been there since May. Ill be there again in a few weeks. Not much point having it mentioned.

2: Might do that. Depends on how much more it is. I wanted to do this myself but it looks too labor intensive for an auto parts shop parking lot. If I was in Arkansas, I could park out front of my mom’s house or in her driveway if she’s feeling generous, and do it there. But it isn’t going to hold up another 1000 miles I fear.

I rebuilt the whole front end st her house, and more. If I have the space I can do it, but I don’t right now.

I thought about trying to find a complete junkyard one, refurbishing it then swapping it in, but then I’d have to dispose of the old one.

Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
The carrier bearing “exploded” they said. The shaft is fine, it didn’t spin the bearing. The Ujoints are all good they said. I’m just waiting for them to finish up replacing the carrier bearing.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine went till my driveshaft was riding on that outside metal part and made one hell of a noise one day driving, still made it home wondering what the noise was all about took a minute to figure it out

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue with my original one and it ate the rubber mount and got progressively louder and more violent as I nursed it home. I knew it was original and farmed it out to a local trusted shop to do.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
The new one. $277.70 total.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

gfemling

Reaction score
I recently did mine while out for overhauls after 254k mi and metal housing looking badly pitted from rust. Parts alone for center assembly was reasonable from Rockauto- $26. But change out did require a press and would not be something I would want to tackle on the road. Cost sounds reasonable for u- joints, center support and labor. You done right.

chrlsful

Full Access Member
Reaction score
vid looks like too loose @ diff (2 the right of vid) as well. Did they ck that end (may B frnt end - transmish yoke - is OK?)

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
vid looks like too loose @ diff (2 the right of vid) as well. Did they ck that end (may B frnt end - transmish yoke - is OK?)

They probably completely removed the driveshaft. The entire thing is cleaner than it was. I had them check the Ujoints and everything was fine.

Left in the video is transmission side.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online