Valves recessed to far bad?

ah1988ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 of the intakes are under too much by 4 thousands and same with exaust somtsomet I should be worried about?

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too much by .004? Don't worry about it. .004 too little(less clearance)? Worry about it.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't be too worried either way. Too much reseccion (most likely the case) will decrease the effective CR, but probably not enough to make a difference, and even if it does, lower CR is good if you're running a turbo anyway.

Too little could reduce valve/piston clearance, but again I don't think it's so tight where 0.004" over will matter unless you've got a different cam.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is that tight, even with a stock cam. I had a rebuilt engine; one side was around .010" under spec, nice imprint of the valves on the pistons(*all* of them). The other head was within spec, no marks at all.

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Disclaimer: Not a machinist specializing in IDI.

That said, from a layman's perspective, .004 inch is the thickness of a couple sheets of paper. If things were this tight, wouldn't carbon buildup be an issue?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes.
And I have seen 2 ****** engines that have valve marks in the pistons upon teardown. they are that close.
I sink them to the deep side of spec.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I thought this question was already covered?