Valve cover removal

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Might be a stupid question here guys, been getting impatient waiting for funding for my head studs. I have everything else for my HX35 project, I have a 14psi external wastegate ready to go on with it. Is it possible do get the passenger valve cover off with the factory/ATS uppipe in place? Going to be replacing the studs with the "one at a time" method. If not Ill wait till I get the studs and turn the boost up from the get-go ;Sweet Thanks guys

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Doesn't the turbo valve cover on the driver's side? mine is.

Im not sure? I just have the ATS crossover, and uppipes, along with the pedestal and intake hat and a few misc. things.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
is the turbo using the same pedistool? or is the a complete custom set up?

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Using the same drain pedestal and uppipe, if the drain wont work I can fab something for that but the uppipe is just a T3

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You might have some clearance issues with the very back studs and the firewall. I'm sure your aware that replacing one head bolt with a stud is not the prefered way to do this. But another member did it without issues.. Or had issues and left the site with his tail between his leggs...:eek::angel::D

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
if you take the A/C evap box cover off(the ********* box on the pass side firewall) you will have plenty of room to get the head bolts out and new studs in. there are a a few along the bottom of the pass side head at the front that are hard to get in b/c of the fender well, but i guess that is nothing a hammer can't fix.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
of what? installing studs in frame?

Edit: i ask this every time i see somebody doing studs one at a time......why? what else would it take to get the heads off? you would have everything off the engine that needs to be taken off except for the intake manifold and IP.

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
The gaskets that are in there are fine, I've seen it done successfully many times on Cummins and Powerstroke applications. Ideal way to do it? Probably not, will it work? Im confident that it will. And subway what are you wanting to see?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Please don't compare a psd or cummins engine to our idi. Nothing you do on one will translate to the other. As posted already.. Is this the prefered way to do studs.. No.. Will it work... Probably. Only the person doing this work can say if its worth the risk.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The gaskets that are in there are fine, I've seen it done successfully many times on Cummins and Powerstroke applications. Ideal way to do it? Probably not, will it work? Im confident that it will. And subway what are you wanting to see?

How can you tell that those gaskets in there are fine? How do you know what they look like or condition they are in, yes, perhaps they are CURRENTLY holding then again perhaps they may be close to blowing out ....WHO KNOWS! NO ONE!!!!

For the price of a few gaskets, why not pull the heads, check piston crowns for any potential issues as well you can check the heads and deck for true flatness, and even pop the valves out and look at them install new seals etc, all in the name of ensuring a long life of the parts and being confident in your project.

Maybe I'm out in left field but sure seems like your doing alot of work which is kewl and leaving some which is well...not kewl, sorry if that bites ya a bit.

JM2CW

Al

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
How can you tell that those gaskets in there are fine? How do you know what they look like or condition they are in, yes, perhaps they are CURRENTLY holding then again perhaps they may be close to blowing out ....WHO KNOWS! NO ONE!!!!

For the price of a few gaskets, why not pull the heads, check piston crowns for any potential issues as well you can check the heads and deck for true flatness, and even pop the valves out and look at them install new seals etc, all in the name of ensuring a long life of the parts and being confident in your project.

Maybe I'm out in left field but sure seems like your doing alot of work which is kewl and leaving some which is well...not kewl, sorry if that bites ya a bit.

JM2CW

Al

While those are all valid points, its not how I am going to do it. The pistons, I dont want to see them, they live a hard life. Ill do new valve seals when the head studs go in, I ordered Comp 910s with the studs. Eventually I will buy a core engine and rebuild it correctly, but for now Im just tinkering. If it grenades because of my lack of prep work, so be it. Not the end of the world. The goal is to throw it on the dyno in September, see what I can put down without going into the engine.