Valve cover gaskets/'91 F250 7.3 I.D.I.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not hard at all. Wobble extensions are your friends, most the time is spent cleaning

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a leak from one of mine despite the new gaskets (shop overtightened rather than remove and straighten and reinstall, thus making it worse).

What has to be removed in order to get the passenger-side cover off? Obviously the fuel filter itself, but I see varying reports of other things (like the filter head, the alternator bracket, etc.)

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It varies, on the ambulance I had to pull all the passenger side accessories off to clear it, but most cases the most you will ever need to remove is the filter housing

mikeboggess

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your quick responses, I will try tightening them first then, if that does not work I will replace them.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cover itself may be warped and tightening will likely warp it further. Loosening and retightening the bolts to the proper torque (something like 72 IN-lbs, or 6 ft-lb) may help but doubt it will stop it if it's already been overtightened. I tried with mine.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly right. 6.9s are 6 ft lbs and 7.3s are 7. Tightening it can even crack the brittle gasket making it worse. Touch the tabs of the gasket and see if they are pliable still or if they want to crack.

mikeboggess

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once I get the v.c's. off is there something, condition, debris, or anything else I should be aware of? Or is there anything else I should do while they are off?

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Look for general cleanliness of the rockers and valve springs. A build up of crud on the exhaust valve spring/s can indicated worn valve guides. Check to see if you can see the valve seals. Some times after years of use/abuse they take a vacation, which can lead to higher oil consumption.

I like to put a skim of black RTV on the gaskets. I have no leaks from the valve covers. :)