Valley Pan

2stroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I raised the hood today on my 86 f250. I parked it for the winter and intended to do work on it this summer. Any way raised the hood to look around and noticed the valley pan covered with rust. I didn't see any oil stains down there as is common. So my question is has any one heard of this pan rusting through.I pulled the dip stick oil looks ok and not over full line. I just don't like the looks of the pan and will change the oil and pull the intake to change the valley pan. I have to start it to pull it into the garage and that will be it, I won't even warm it up.

I am going to assume that all I need to do this is remove the injector lines then the intake and the valley pan should come right out.

Is there only one valley pan--6.9/7.3/Turbo/Na

I like to use aviation permatex or is it a dry fit for the intake gasket? And does the valley pan sandwich in with the gasket.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Many times the rain water leaks past the cowl seal. then the water either enters the air filter lid or ends up on the valley pan. You might want to bump the starter lightly to see if a cylinder has rain water in it. Sure best **** that than cranking and bending a rod. To replace the valley pan you must remove the injection pump. sorry but thats a needed thing. Reason is because you just wont have the clearance up front under the pump to clean the gasket area for the new pan. Thats no place for a leak either. Do this before you remove the pump. Make a center punch mark in the pump to housing joint seam. Then remove the pump. When you install the pump just match up the 2 half circle punch marks that separated when you made the mark. Do not remove the gear housing off the top of the engine with the pump and gear attached as one piece. You will loose the gear timing for sure.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
All valley pans are the same these days. At one time we could buy a non turbo or a turbo pan. Now its just turbo pans and thats a good thing. You can leave the hard lines on the pump and remove it as one piece. Just have to remove the feed line from the filter head. Then the 2 nuts that holds the pump to the housing and then under the front cover there are 2 bolts that require a 5/16 12 point socket to remove. Those connect the pump to the injection pump drive gear. Easy to find when you remove the thin plate that has 2 bolts that holds it to the housing. Once the lines are loose from the injectors and the nuts and bolts are removed you slide the pump towards the intake. Then shift it to the passenger side and lift it up between the top and passenger side stud. It will lift right up and out easy.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the rear of the valley pan in the center is a brass looking plug, that is a drain hole to the back of the engine, since water got in there the hole must be plugged. That plug is screwed in, unscrew it to remove pan.

2stroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to disagree but there seems to be a lot of room under the pump to work/clean, the intake will come out easy past the pump and then you have more room Does it realy need to come out.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to disagree but there seems to be a lot of room under the pump to work/clean, the intake will come out easy past the pump and then you have more room Does it realy need to come out.

Why argue about? Do it anyway that trips your trigger. You asked, you where told how the regular method is to do it. You'll be one sorry ***** when/if you have to do it again because it didn't seal on the front. Valley pans are only $60.

Attachments

• Victor Reinz valley pan..jpg
    Victor Reinz valley pan..jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 69

2stroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the picture that one is the turbo one I think. There is a different one for sale on ebay is that the NA one?

Is there also a gasket that I will need--sandwich between the valley pan--or does the pan have a raised rib that compresses when bolted down.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No gaskets, they are part of the pan, and the ends are RTV, I prefer ultra gray.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The picture shown is a Fel-Pro or a Victor-Reinze forgot which valley pan, there is only one kind, use it for either turbo or NA, the gasket material on the intake holes is a crush material and is meant for one use only, you can take a chance and use it again, but it may leak.

Last edited: