Vacuum Pump

TBigLug

I Miss U Baby Girl
Reaction score
Mine is making this aweful clanking, grinding , clunking noise so I know it's only a matter of time.

How hard are they to chane?
Where's the best place to get them?

Atozone by me wants $240 for one (or $100 for the reman).

What would it take to convert to hydro-boost and how much would it run?

If it's be cheaper to switch over I'd say to heck with the pump and convert. My vent selector and cruise don't work anyway! :rotflmao

FWIW- 1986 Ford F-250, 6.9L, C6, 2WD

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Super-easy to change, just a couple of bolts. The hardest part is that the pulley needs to be pressed off and then back on the new pump.

rckslash2010

Reaction score
Try to find a pulley puller, they do make them for the vacume pump, and it's not the same puller as the steering pump. The collars need to be a little skinnier. When removing the pulley, if you cannot find a puller,do not hit the pulley with a hammer. When I did this the first time I bent the pulley. I've been running with that one on for 3 months. I went to the junk yard to get a new one. The guy there only tapped on the pulley and bent it. i didn't notice till after I got home and installed it. So it doesn't take much to bent these pulleys.

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what design P/S pump pulley puller the previous post has but that's all I use to remove them. I have the block style and it works fine.:dunno
You must be registered for see images

rckslash2010

Reaction score
When I tried to use one like that, all I did was bend the pulley. The type they make to pull these comes with two collars that wrap around the flange in the middle of the pulley. Then you slide a collar thing over these two halfs and there's a bolt that goes into this setup and when you tighten the bolt, it pulls the pulley off. It's hard to explain, but they work good. They also come with an other part that can be used to put the new pulley back on.

Austin idi 7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was ez to change out but pulling the pull was a ***** for me and i got mine from the ford dealer for around 100$

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I tried to use one like that, all I did was bend the pulley. The type they make to pull these comes with two collars that wrap around the flange in the middle of the pulley. Then you slide a collar thing over these two halfs and there's a bolt that goes into this setup and when you tighten the bolt, it pulls the pulley off. It's hard to explain, but they work good. They also come with an other part that can be used to put the new pulley back on.

The picture Maybe decieving but the black arms fit in the groove around the hub of the pulley not the outer diameter. And to install you use a bolt, nut, and a washer and draw it onto the shaft.

rckslash2010

Reaction score
The picture Maybe decieving but the black arms fit in the groove around the hub of the pulley not the outer diameter. And to install you use a bolt, nut, and a washer and draw it onto the shaft.

That's cool, the one that I tried wouldn't catch the grove around the hub. The one that I rented was for the power steering pump, and the collars were to wide. If I had boughten it, I wound have filed them down a bit to make it fit.
Now I'm pissed whenever I watch that pulley when the truck is running, it wobbles around worse then the first one. I'm about ready to take it back to the junkyard and shove it up the guy's ass. The only thing is, it's the under-payed employee that will get it in the end. So now I'm looking for a new pulley.

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Myself if i had the pulley wiggling i would find the high spot and "massage" it back a little at a time until it spins true. Rubber or shot mallet would do it.

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pumps do take oil. I think it's the little bolt right by the vacuum nipple. Maybe somebody that knows more about it will chime in.
Even with Hydroboost you'll still need vacuum to run your HVAC motors.
As stated above, a P/S pulley puller will work to remove the pulley.
The first one I did the pulley puller worked without modification. The one I had to change out last year on the side of the road hundreds of miles away from my toolbox in 105* heat I had to spend hours grinding it down on a sidewalk until it would clear the upset in the pulley to get into the groove. Yeah , that sucked. Now I carry a spare with the pulley attached.

rckslash2010

Reaction score
Myself if i had the pulley wiggling i would find the high spot and "massage" it back a little at a time until it spins true. Rubber or shot mallet would do it.

That's a good idea, and something that I can do with it still in the truck. I don't have a rubber mallet, but I'll give her a couple of good whacks with the 2 pound sledge. That should teach her a lesson.:eek:

sassyrel

Reaction score
The pumps do take oil. I think it's the little bolt right by the vacuum nipple. Maybe somebody that knows more about it will chime in.
on the back,opposite where the pulley goes--is a small screw--thats where you add oil in----and when its level--not above the screw---30w oil--

sassyrel

Reaction score
That's a good idea, and something that I can do with it still in the truck. I don't have a rubber mallet, but I'll give her a couple of good whacks with the 2 pound sledge. That should teach her a lesson.:eek:

take the belt off, and holding a screwdriver against the backside of the pulley, rotate till you find the high spot. pry against that, and keep rotating and doing that--till the high spot is gone--wont hurt the pulley at all.......DONT use a hammer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you can imprint the bearing inside the vac pump--and the bearing in that will go out before long--

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i had to buy a pulley after i bent mine and i think it was only about 20 from the dealership. i know my powersteering pump puller from autozone has a couple of collars you can choose from.

carrying a extra pump with the pulley on would sure be nice but it cannot be installed with a serpentine belt setup that way. to bad.......

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RustyNail351

Members online