Vacuum Pump

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in Paris, Texas working on a pipeline and my vacuum pump is going out. I checked with the 2 parts houses here and they were unsure if they had the right one. As my truck has a serpentine belt neither place showed one with that. If anyone knows the correct part number, please let me know. I need my truck bad, and can't afford for my truck to be down more than a day.

Jim

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I believe the V belt pump should fit just fine and if not what You can do is remove the one from Your engine, take the top part off and replace it with the top part of the new one. You'll see it fits.

If they don't have the V belt either then You can buy the vacuum pump for a 89-93 dodge diesel, they have the same vacuum pump (the top) and You can replace it with that one.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are two things that go bad on these belt-driven vacuum-pumps, the rotating cam mechanism and the diaphragm pump itself.

One will grind and sparks fly, then finally lock up; no trouble to tell what went wrong.

The diaphragm is somewhat harder to diagnose.

A leak anywhere in the system will give symptoms that the diaphragm is bad.

Like already stated, the diaphragms are all the same, and share the same bolt-pattern.

Any Ford diesel, and 1989-91 Dodge diesel, some of the GMs, and any vacuum-over-hydraulic trailer brake kit, should have diaphragms that will fit.

Any diaphragm-type vacuum-pump should have the same diaphragm as what you need.

On the belt-driven pumps, I am almost 98.3% positive that the drive-shaft diameter is the same, regardless of application.

Here is more information :

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24318

In a pinch, you can also plumb/wire in an electric pump from any of dozens of applications, even many passenger cars had them.

Hope this helps.

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not the diaphragm that is bad but the bearing behind the pulley that is squealing. The pulley seems to be pressed on as where the one the parts houses have the shaft is threaded in the center like a pulley slips on and a bolt and washer keeps it in place. The computer at the parts store do not say if it is for V belt or serpentine belt just from I believe 85 to 92 and mine is a 93 which makes me believe it is for a V belt and I don't know the difference.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the pulley-shafts are threaded in the center; that is how you press the pulley onto the shaft.

New pumps come with a 3/8-16 bolt and big nut for drawing the pulley onto the shaft.

I usually install a short bolt and lock-washer in that hole just for insurance, but it is not necessary.

When no puller is available, or the pulley has no provision for a puller, I put the pump between two equally high blocks of wood, screw a bolt into the shaft, and peck peck peck on the bolt-head, until the pulley walks off the shaft.

You can remove the 10mm bolt from the back-center and squirt some more oil in there; that may get you home.

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks MIDNIGHT RIDER, that sure helps as the parts store people are no help, they are just a bunch of store clerks, use to be a parts person had some knowage of things but if the puter dose not know they sure as hell don't know.

Jim, in Paris, Texas

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lucky I beleive they are all the same you have to pull your pulley and press it back on the new one. I did ours about a year ago. Auto zone has the pulley puller you can use then take back at no cost to you in the end. That will make the job MUCH easier.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One more thing, DO NOT use a plain old gear-puller, or any puller that grasps the outside rim of the pulley.

The pulley is easily warped.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You occassionally run into the pulleys that have no flange for the puller to attach to; that is when you have to resort to the two blocks of wood and peck peck peck trick.

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. My truck is now down because the pump is making so much noise I am afraid to drive it even to get parts. This evening I will get the pump and hopefully I can get the pulley off.

Jim, in Paris Texas

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
One more thing, DO NOT use a plain old gear-puller, or any puller that grasps the outside rim of the pulley.

The pulley is easily warped.

made that mistake to, you need a power steerig pulley puller that locks onto a inner flange on the pulley. like mentioned rent it from a big chain store and take it back when you are done. its a half hour job with the tool.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jim-
i just got home and pulled the pump off the motor. you're going to have fun leaning over the radiator support loosening the bolts. just for the curious, all three bolts are captive to the pump with the pulley installed.
one more bit is useless trivia....
the v-belt pumps have the threaded bolt holes. the serp pump has open holes in the castings for the bolts to go through and mount in the alu bracket.

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jim-
i just got home and pulled the pump off the motor. you're going to have fun leaning over the radiator support loosening the bolts. just for the curious, all three bolts are captive to the pump with the pulley installed.
the v-belt pumps have the threaded bolt holes. the serp pump has open holes in the castings for the bolts to go through and mount in the alu bracket.

Thanks Calvin for everything.

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jim-

Thanks Calvin for everything.:thumbsup:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance