v belt to serpentine belt

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys this is going to be a dumb question...

I just started pulling out some serpentine belt stuff that I had laying around and started to install it just to realize I am one pulley short

i am missing either the water pump pulley or the crank pulley they both have the same bolt pattern...

is there a way to tell which pulley I have?

if someone could take a measurement of there crank and water pump pulleys that would help immensely letting me know which one I have and which one I still need...

also I believe this is an internally regulated alternator where as the factory is externally regulated...what wiring is required to make the switch?

last but not least is the high pressure power steering hose the same from an 89 vbelt pump to a 93 serpentine belt pump

thanks guys

Hans13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crank pulley was 7 3/16 inches on the face. I couldn't accurately measure the water pump pulley... Hope I helped!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there really is no mistaking these if you line them up with the other pulleys on the block.
the crank pulley is 7.25"
the water pump is 6.25" about...

You must be registered for see images attach

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score
awesome exactly what I need!

So does anybody have a water pump pulley?

so on the wiring are you still using the external voltage regulator?

Hans13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's all the help I got! I sure am glad that IDIoit has the precise measurements. I'm just sitting here smiling thinking about what everybody thought seeing me go into the parking lot and hop under my truck with a maglite and a tape measureLOL

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did the same^^ lol
I'm still using my stock voltage regulator

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I recall something about spacers needed too. Getting all the pulleys on the same plane might be ruff if you don't have the spacers. Best have someone thats got the serpentine system apart to tell you where the spacers mount on the pulley. Its inside and outside but I don't recall what went where.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recall something about spacers needed too. Getting all the pulleys on the same plane might be ruff if you don't have the spacers. Best have someone thats got the serpentine system apart to tell you where the spacers mount on the pulley. Its inside and outside but I don't recall what went where.

Ho lee chit.
I'd bet you this is why my belt, no matter how new, screams.
I have a spacer behind the crank pulley and Infront of the water pump pulley.
I hope someone chimes in with the correct set up

stuborn nut

Reaction score
I pulled apart a 93 awhile back and there was a stack of shims behind the crank pulley. There were 3 fairly thin shims of varying thickness.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Site down from the alternator pulley to the crank and the water pump pulley. Really only the alternator is not adjustable with a shim. It can be twisted from side to side a tiny bit though. Looking at the pulley alignment and maybe using a straight edge can tell you if there is an alignment issue. Look closely at the belt as it leaves the pulley. That also tells you if its in line or not. Only the water pump and crank pulleys have the ability to be shimmed in or out. No chance of shimming the power steering pump or the ac compressor. The vacuum pump can be pressed on more or less to line it up. Mostly its just press it on and run it.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the PSP can be pressed on too far also.
ive done it lol
accidently that is :D