Using the stock f150 radiator with idi swap.

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I have the donor engine for my idi swap into the f150 in this thread, http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?60366-My-new-idi-project..... Thinking about trying the stock rad with e fans, I think it will do just fine.... Just gonna be mostly a daily driver with some hauling and very light towing.... I've got the matching core support with the diesel rad just incase, But I'm gonna give it a shot and see how it does.. I dont think it'll have any issues. Thoughts?

Black dawg

Reaction score
Well I have the donor engine for my idi swap into the f150 in this thread, http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?60366-My-new-idi-project..... Thinking about trying the stock rad with e fans, I think it will do just fine.... Just gonna be mostly a daily driver with some hauling and very light towing.... I've got the matching core support with the diesel rad just incase, But I'm gonna give it a shot and see how it does.. I dont think it'll have any issues. Thoughts?

I am pretty sure the 460 radiator will bolt right in there..should be enough for 1/2 ton towing.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The idi generates a ton of heat when under load, I dont know if that rad would be enough for it.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Measure the size of the rad, check the coolant capacity of it and compare it to an IDI rad and I suspect you will find it substantially inadequate for your needs

JM2CW

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Idi have enought trouble when working even with some concrete bags temps climb fast using anything smaller than an Idi rad is asking to be broke down an over heated. If you to get grocerys an ice cream but don't set through the drive threw long you will be ok I guess.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I say give it a try but watch the temp very closely. Hopefully you have an aftermarket gauge along with the oem dash gauge too. You will know in a few minutes how this will work. As posted above. The thoughts are made clear. I'm all for trying something differant but watching the new adventure is very important. If the temp climbs past 230 degrees pull over and give things a cool down rest. Don't be in a hurry to get home or to a cool down place in the road. Knowing your roads and surroundings will save a hot engine. Please post back what happens. Your generating plenty of interest.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My other issue....rad hoses....sizes....and locations...seems to me you'll be hacking together parts to make it work......correct rad makes this a much simpler swap and if you have a diesel rad support...a Champion rad isn't that expensive to install...

JM2CW

Al

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, Ive already got a matching diesel core support and radiator if the need arises..... Remember this is a half ton single cab truck, That will mostly be a daily driver.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, Ive already got a matching diesel core support and radiator if the need arises..... Remember this is a half ton single cab truck, That will mostly be a daily driver.

Then instead of farting about hacking hoses and other crap together...do this correctly and put in the correct rad support and rad...Why would you even want to take a chance of being stranded or causing failure from the incorrect parts?

I personally just cannot comprehend why anyone would want to gamble this point, as if it does over heat...and cause major malfunction your SOL and have yet more expense to deal with....

DO IT RIGHT DO IT ONCE....

Please don't be of the mindset...Never time to do it right....but always time to do it over.....

Wow

Al

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
my truck started out life as a gasser and with the gas 3 core stock radiator and the idi, it never really got hot even when towing my car trailer.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
I just went through your other thread about the project.

I'm very interested as I'd like to do the same in my winter 4x4 F150 short bed reg cab. But I was also thinking in a 4BT cummins, but those look to be hard to find from what i'm seing, and the ones I did find, are abit out of my price range.

But I dunno how well an IDI would work in a 4x4 F150. Since it's 4x4...... is the 2wd F250 springs the same as 4x4 half ton springs? And I don't know how is the D44 is gonna handle that.

This would be something I'd like to get into in years to come though, after the F250 is all restored.

Cause 13mpg out of the 5 speed 300-6 i'm getting right now, isn't to great for a DD....

Ofcourse, I don't have the most aerodynamics.....

You must be registered for see images attach

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
When Mel and his son installed a 6.9 with a ZF 5 spped trans he in an F150 single cab.. He got 29.5 mpg returning from the 2009 rally...:eek::hail:thumbsup: They didn't even time the engine. Just dropped a spare engine from the garden of instiration they had...

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score

I will try not to be as strident as Al, but since you have taken the time to swap an IDI into your F150, AND you have the core support, why not spend a little more time bolting the correct radiator into your project? Sure, cooling might not be an issue with the stock radiator, but if it is, you have just wasted a lot of time trying something that even the factory didn't think was a good idea. Doing a big swap is not for the faint-of-heart, and knowing that you have taken a short cut with the radiator will not make you any more comfortable driving it around. If it is to be a daily driver, why not invest a little more time to make sure it is not a headache, too?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 1/2 ton 6.5 and 1 ton 6.5L both use the same radiator, gm didn't spend the extra cost on a big radiator for no reason.

No they didn't but I bet they are different than a gasser....the diesel rad ...is the diesel rad...regardless of 1/2 3/4 or 1 ton...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726