Using the stock f150 radiator with idi swap.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
these engines are really easy to keep cool.i won't be surprised at all if the factory 1/2 rad keeps an idi cool enough in the light truck.id probably be more surprised if it doesn't lol.
remember,the large rad is for upwards of 18k gross.not something he'll be doing with the little half.....hopefully.:D
as long as you have a temp gauge and do whatever it takes to not harm the engine,you'll learn soon enough if she's good,running the e-fans far too often,or just won't keep her reasonably below 240 without struggle.

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
these engines are really easy to keep cool.i won't be surprised at all if the factory 1/2 rad keeps an idi cool enough in the light truck.id probably be more surprised if it doesn't lol.
remember,the large rad is for upwards of 18k gross.not something he'll be doing with the little half.....hopefully.:D
as long as you have a temp gauge and do whatever it takes to not harm the engine,you'll learn soon enough if she's good,running the e-fans far too often,or just won't keep her reasonably below 240 without struggle.

Exactly, I think it will cool fine.. I will have a real temp gauge installed as well. Wouldn't surprise me if I could cruise the highway all day with the fans off.. And If It even tries to overheat on goes the diesel cooling stuff...

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No they didn't but I bet they are different than a gasser....the diesel rad ...is the diesel rad...regardless of 1/2 3/4 or 1 ton...

My 95 has a radiator out of a 96 3500, I know because I pulled it from the truck and did the swap myself. They are alot bigger than a gasser rad (like 6" wider than 350 and 4 wider than a 454 but those are just off the top of my head not looked up) my 93 had a gasser rad when I got it and it was 1" thinner and 4 narrower than a rebuilt replacement 4 core aluminum rad for that year model.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Debate over which radiator to use aside; it makes the swap much easier if you pull the core support out of the truck.
When I switched from 460 to IDI, I changed out the radiator to the tall skinny IDI rad. I researched the same thing, and came to the conclusion that if you don't tow heavy (I do, which is why I switched), the 460 radiator will work.

Saved a pic of the 460 radiator sitting in front of the IDI radiator: pretty big size difference...

You must be registered for see images attach

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI 460, 351, 302, and 300s all use the same radiators.

I'm more concerned about a diesel being in a half ton...

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 95 has a radiator out of a 96 3500, I know because I pulled it from the truck and did the swap myself. They are alot bigger than a gasser rad (like 6" wider than 350 and 4 wider than a 454 but those are just off the top of my head not looked up) my 93 had a gasser rad when I got it and it was 1" thinner and 4 narrower than a rebuilt replacement 4 core aluminum rad for that year model.

I believe your missunderstanding what I"m saying..

Diesel 1/2 3/4 1 tons all have the same basic rad IIRC.....NOT the same as gassers...

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Wont matter...1/2 3/4 1ton Ford used same frames...just the axle ratings changed...Super duty frames thicker...

I'm betting that his 1/2 ton with diesel would be ok for weight on half ton susp...just he couldn't legally add much more weight than a box of crackers to that front axle before being illegal...rofl

Bottom line...OP asked for opinions...they varied from me...saying USE Diesel rad an support....to others saying it won't matter one bit.

It is his choice to make and his mistake to make if it goes sideways...I'm of the thought...do it once do it right...don't hobble together a bunch of rad hoses to make things work...use the correct parts once.

I wish the OP good luck and hope all is well...

I'm adding a diesel to my Bronco, Mel has already and a half ton IIRC for his son....so it's proven it can work.

JM2CW

Al

Black dawg

Reaction score

The radiators are easily interchangeable, but originally were not all the same core size.

If it were me, being that it is a half ton, I would get the 460 radiator. They are very cheap compared to the idi radiator. No sense running twice the radiator you need.

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wont matter...1/2 3/4 1ton Ford used same frames...just the axle ratings changed...Super duty frames thicker...

I'm betting that his 1/2 ton with diesel would be ok for weight on half ton susp...just he couldn't legally add much more weight than a box of crackers to that front axle before being illegal...rofl

Bottom line...OP asked for opinions...they varied from me...saying USE Diesel rad an support....to others saying it won't matter one bit.

It is his choice to make and his mistake to make if it goes sideways...I'm of the thought...do it once do it right...don't hobble together a bunch of rad hoses to make things work...use the correct parts once.

I wish the OP good luck and hope all is well...

I'm adding a diesel to my Bronco, Mel has already and a half ton IIRC for his son....so it's proven it can work.

JM2CW

Al

It's not the frame I am concerned about, it's the ****** TTB. The D44 TTB can't even handle the light weight of the gasser well, nevermind a diesel. Prepare to eat BJs, WBs, TREs!

IMO the only thing worth bothering with is a solid front axle in these trucks.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not the frame I am concerned about, it's the ****** TTB. The D44 TTB can't even handle the light weight of the gasser well, nevermind a diesel. Prepare to eat BJs, WBs, TREs!

IMO the only thing worth bothering with is a solid front axle in these trucks.

Well many of these IDI's have been swapped into Bronco's and if it's a daily driver it's ok

I swapped some SC F350 460 2WD camper special springs into my Bronco in anticipation of said swap...I'm set...ball joints...same as 44HD and 50 IIRC...WB well service them and yer golden...

I suppose if you neglect things...the end result is a bite on the ass...so address these issues and your golden.

Funny...Ford put TTB under F250 diesels...

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well many of these IDI's have been swapped into Bronco's and if it's a daily driver it's ok

I swapped some SC F350 460 2WD camper special springs into my Bronco in anticipation of said swap...I'm set...ball joints...same as 44HD and 50 IIRC...WB well service them and yer golden...

I suppose if you neglect things...the end result is a bite on the ass...so address these issues and your golden.

Funny...Ford put TTB under F250 diesels...

Just because they did it doesn't mean it was good! We all know the 250 TTBs are the *********. You can't deny the TTB wears everything out faster since everything works against each other: tow chnages as the suspension cycles, camber changes, the steering. It's just not a good design. It IS stout vs regular control arm IFS but that's about the only good thing.

It's common knoledge anything with a TTB is gonna eat up components faster than a solid. Obviously if you DD as if it were a car and never use it as a truck it's gonna last longer If it is actually used as a truck hauling loads, driving in the snow (not just a flurry), and the occasions rough dirt roads, TTB do not hold up well.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
I use my truck to go to National Forest, pull my travel trailer, it's my daily driver, I haul whatever needs to be hauled, last year I moved a couple FEMA trailers with it, and nothing on my suspension was badly worn out when I did my quarterly inspections. Ttb will hold up, it's just a bit harder to align.